Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Default Dried orange peel

I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
Unfortunately, I do not remember where! It is used in Szechuan
dishes but the local Chinese stores stop talking English when
asked about it :-) At best, the reaction is a bit like a French
grocer being asked asked about, say, five-spice powder: "Il
n'existe pas!"

Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
searching?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

James,

Not familiar with MD grocers, but you could try making your own:

http://www.gosyro.com/recipes/00994.asp

James Silverton wrote:
> I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
> Unfortunately, I do not remember where! It is used in Szechuan
> dishes but the local Chinese stores stop talking English when
> asked about it :-) At best, the reaction is a bit like a French
> grocer being asked asked about, say, five-spice powder: "Il
> n'existe pas!"
>
> Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
> searching?
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote in message
. ..
>I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
>Unfortunately, I do not remember where! It is used in Szechuan dishes but
>the local Chinese stores stop talking English when asked about it :-) At
>best, the reaction is a bit like a French grocer being asked asked about,
>say, five-spice powder: "Il n'existe pas!"
>
> Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
> searching?
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I have found dried orange peel in Indian stores, but not recently - as well
as dried lemon peel. I've not seen any lately, so

I have started buying the whole orange slices (organic, maybe) in Trader
Joe's. They have the peel intact with the inside, but one could use just
the peel - in a pinch. Or perhaps the whole slice, depending on what you
are making. I put it in with cranberries and apples.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On 2006-12-11, James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
> I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
> Unfortunately, I do not remember where!

> Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
> searching?

Dried orange peel is commonly used in the brewing of beer. I don't
know if it's the same as food grade, but it's obviously edible. In
brewing it's used as a flavor adjunct and discarded after boiling in
the wort. It couldn't hurt to try. Check at your local home beer
brewing and wine making shop. If none available locally, try online.
Here's a reputable vendor:

http://masl.to/?R14225B5E

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:47:52 -0500, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

>I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
>Unfortunately, I do not remember where! It is used in Szechuan
>dishes but the local Chinese stores stop talking English when
>asked about it :-) At best, the reaction is a bit like a French
>grocer being asked asked about, say, five-spice powder: "Il
>n'existe pas!"
>
>Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
>searching?

I bought some - and lemon peel - from The Spice House. Online. Great
service! www.thespicehouse.com

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-12-11, James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
>> I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
>> Unfortunately, I do not remember where!

>> Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
>> searching?

> Dried orange peel is commonly used in the brewing of beer. I don't
> know if it's the same as food grade, but it's obviously edible. In
> brewing it's used as a flavor adjunct and discarded after boiling in
> the wort. It couldn't hurt to try. Check at your local home beer
> brewing and wine making shop. If none available locally, try online.
> Here's a reputable vendor:
>
> http://masl.to/?R14225B5E

I know, you don't want to make it yourself...

I peel citrus fruit with a veggie peeler. Leave the peel on
a plate on the counter and in a couple-three days, it's dry.
I get to eat the fruit as a bonus.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

James Silverton wrote:
> I know I could make it myself but I've bought it in the past.
> Unfortunately, I do not remember where! It is used in Szechuan
> dishes but the local Chinese stores stop talking English when
> asked about it :-) At best, the reaction is a bit like a French
> grocer being asked asked about, say, five-spice powder: "Il
> n'existe pas!"
>
> Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
> searching?

Penzeys sells dried orange peel, but it's not the typical type used in
Chinese cookery, they usually use something closer in flavor to
tangerine peel but I don't think it's actually tangerine peel, might be
mandarin or something like that... you can usually find the dehy
oriental peel at the ethnic markets in any oriental neighborhood...
many Indian markets and Hispanic markets sell it too.

But if you just want generic dried orange peel try Penzeys:

Orange Peel
Beautiful orange color, bright orange flavor and fine Californian zest,
all outer peel. Sweeter and less expensive than lemon peel, orange peel
is a perfect addition to coffee cake, banana bread, waffle batter,
cheesecake and muffins. Sprinkle on hot cereal or add to potpourri.
To rehydrate: Use 3 parts water to 1 part peel, let stand 15 minutes.
Sub 1/3 as much dry as recipe calls for.

Product# Description Price Qty
47427 Orange Peel 7.7 oz. 2 Cup $13.59
47472 Orange Peel 3.9 oz. 1 Cup $6.89
47456 Orange Peel 1.9 oz. jar $3.59
47430 Orange Peel 1.2 oz. jar $1.99
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:47:52 -0500, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
> > searching?

> The stuff you buy in the stores is usually as old as dirt itself.
> Just make your own using a vegetable peeler. It really doesn't
> even need to be dried.

Don't be such WOP brain... that doesn't work for Oriental cookery.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sheldon wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:47:52 -0500, James Silverton wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I should be
> > > searching?

> > The stuff you buy in the stores is usually as old as dirt itself.
> > Just make your own using a vegetable peeler. It really doesn't
> > even need to be dried.

> Don't be such WOP brain... that doesn't work for Oriental cookery.

Seville orange [seh-VIHL]
A popular bitter orange grown in the Mediterranean region. It has a
thick, rough skin and an extremely tart, bitter flesh full of seeds.
Because of its high acid content, the Seville is not an eating orange
but (because of that same acidity) is extremely popular for making
marmalades as well as LIQUEURS such as COINTREAU, CURAÇAO, GRAND
MARNIER and TRIPLE SEC.

The Seville orange also finds its way into sauces and relishes, and is
a particular favorite with duck because its acidity helps counteract
the fatty flavor. The dried peel is often used for seasoning.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

??>> Steve Wertz wrote:
??>>> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:47:52 -0500, James Silverton
wrote:
??>>>
??>>>> Has anyone any idea about what type of ethnic stores I
??>>>> should be searching?
??>>>
??>>> The stuff you buy in the stores is usually as old as dirt
??>>> itself. Just make your own using a vegetable peeler. It
??>>> really doesn't even need to be dried.
??>>
??>> Don't be such WOP brain... that doesn't work for Oriental
??>> cookery.

S> Seville orange [seh-VIHL]
S> A popular bitter orange grown in the Mediterranean region.
S> It has a thick, rough skin and an extremely tart, bitter
S> flesh full of seeds. Because of its high acid content, the
S> Seville is not an eating orange but (because of that same
S> acidity) is extremely popular for making marmalades as well
S> as LIQUEURS such as COINTREAU, CURAÇAO, GRAND MARNIER and
S> TRIPLE SEC.

S> The Seville orange also finds its way into sauces and
S> relishes, and is a particular favorite with duck because its
S> acidity helps counteract the fatty flavor. The dried peel is
S> often used for seasoning.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I finally solved the
problem myself by going into a Hispanic (Salvadorean) grocery in
Rockville, MD which had "Naranjo en Flor" for a very low cost.
My (probably rather unreliable) translation of the Spanish on
the bottle indicates that its main use may be for a tisane or
tea but it's what I wanted!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, Sheldon!
> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I finally solved the
> problem myself by going into a Hispanic (Salvadorean) grocery in
> Rockville, MD

Why are you saying hello to just me but thanking everyone... I
suggested a Hispanic market in my first reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Asian orange peels used in cooking come from tangerine,
> clementines, or mandarin oranges - and sometimes kumquats. Not
> Seville.

All you're accomplished is to prove once again that you can't
comprehend what's written, you functionally illiterate WOP rectum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sheldon wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Asian orange peels used in cooking come from tangerine,
>> clementines, or mandarin oranges - and sometimes kumquats. Not
>> Seville.

> All you're accomplished is to prove once again that you can't
> comprehend what's written, you functionally illiterate WOP rectum.

<LOL> Reply number 231 on the Cookie Katz list of "When I
don't know what I'm talking about" list.

Shecky thinks Seville orange peels are used in oriental
cooking. Sure. They grow on the Spanish-Chinese border.

Moron.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 12 Dec 2006 14:36:06 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Asian orange peels used in cooking come from tangerine,
> >> clementines, or mandarin oranges - and sometimes kumquats. Not
> >> Seville.

> > All you're accomplished is to prove once again that you can't
> > comprehend what's written, you functionally illiterate WOP rectum.

> Oh, then by all means, please tell me which part of your post I
> misinterpreted. This oughta be good...
>
> Or you can just slink away like you usually do at this point.

Looks like you called it right, Steve.

Seville oranges in Chinese cooking. That's a new one.

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> > > All you're accomplished is to prove once again that you can't
> > > comprehend what's written, you functionally illiterate WOP rectum.

> > Oh, then by all means, please tell me which part of your post I
> > misinterpreted. This oughta be good...
> >
> > Or you can just slink away like you usually do at this point.

> Looks like you called it right, Steve.
>
> Seville oranges in Chinese cooking. That's a new one.

Why is that a new one... well it would be for a uneducated prick like
you. What makes folks think that seville oranges don't grow in asia...
of course they do, I'm sure they just use an asian name... citrus is
very new to the western world, but is native to asia. The dried peel
of what we in the west call seville orange is precisely what's used in
many oriental dishes. In the west seville orange peel is not used
dried, it's used fresh, mostly for jams

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sheldon wrote:
> Graeme...in London wrote:

>>> Oh, then by all means, please tell me which part of your post I
>>> misinterpreted. This oughta be good...
>>>
>>> Or you can just slink away like you usually do at this point.

>> Looks like you called it right, Steve.
>>
>> Seville oranges in Chinese cooking. That's a new one.

> Why is that a new one... well it would be for a uneducated prick like
> you. What makes folks think that seville oranges don't grow in asia...
> of course they do, I'm sure they just use an asian name...

Um... he's sure.

> citrus is
> very new to the western world, but is native to asia.

Er... "very new." Ancient Rome is "very new."

> The dried peel
> of what we in the west call seville orange is precisely what's used in
> many oriental dishes.

Uh... and he's sure "they just use an Asian name." In Asia,
they all speak Asian. Why it's so easy to get around Asia -
that one-language thing.

> In the west seville orange peel is not used
> dried, it's used fresh, mostly for jams

<LOL> Shecky steps on his peepee again. Shocking...

Citrus *is* native to Asia - about 4000BC. There were no
oranges back then. Only little, very tart things more like
stunted lemons. Gradually, with sports, hybridization and
deliberate cross-breeding other variations were produced.
Bitter oranges did exist in China, but they weren't a common
food item until recently. Before that, they were largely
used for perfumes, as bergamot is today, for example.

But he's "sure they just use an Asian name."

Bwah...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2006 12:13:20 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > The dried peel
> > of what we in the west call seville orange is precisely what's used in
> > many oriental dishes. In the west seville orange peel is not used
> > dried, it's used fresh, mostly for jams

> Care to provide a cite for Seville orange peels being used in
> Chinese cooking? One that you didn't pull out of your ass, that
> is.

I guess you guys have some unpleasant history, huh?

"Scientific classification: Oranges belong to the genus Citrus, of the
family Rutaceae. The sweet orange is classified as Citrus sinensis; the
sour, or Seville, orange as Citrus aurantium; and the mandarin orange,
or tangerine, as Citrus reticulata."

Szechuan cooking uses dried tangerine peel, because that's what they
have access to, but the flavor of the dried peels are not that
different from one another that they couldn't be used interchangeably
in most dishes that call for them. And, yes, I've established that
through actual use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 15 Dec 2006 12:13:20 -0800, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> The dried peel
>>> of what we in the west call seville orange is precisely what's used in
>>> many oriental dishes. In the west seville orange peel is not used
>>> dried, it's used fresh, mostly for jams

>> Care to provide a cite for Seville orange peels being used in
>> Chinese cooking? One that you didn't pull out of your ass, that
>> is.

> I guess you guys have some unpleasant history, huh?
>
> "Scientific classification: Oranges belong to the genus Citrus, of the
> family Rutaceae. The sweet orange is classified as Citrus sinensis; the
> sour, or Seville, orange as Citrus aurantium; and the mandarin orange,
> or tangerine, as Citrus reticulata."
>
> Szechuan cooking uses dried tangerine peel, because that's what they
> have access to, but the flavor of the dried peels are not that
> different from one another that they couldn't be used interchangeably
> in most dishes that call for them. And, yes, I've established that
> through actual use.

I don't agree that they aren't different from one another.
I've used various sorts of citrus peels as infusion sources
for vinegars and vodkas. They're discernibly different in
finished flavors.

But that's not the issue with Sheldon. He says that Seville
oranges are used in Chinese cooking but he's "sure that they
have an Asian name." He uses "Asian" and "Oriental"
interchangeably because he's so internationally savvy. He's
blowing smoke, as is his wont. Never much lets facts stand
in his way. He "researches" other people's words and posts
them as his own. Wonderful fellow. If they were to take the
temperature of the earth with a rectal thermometer, they'd
stick it in Sheldon. But I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Graeme...in London wrote:

> >> Looks like you called it right, Steve.
> >>
> >> Seville oranges in Chinese cooking. That's a new one.

> > Why is that a new one... well it would be for a uneducated prick like
> > you. What makes folks think that seville oranges don't grow in asia...
> > of course they do, I'm sure they just use an asian name...

> Um... he's sure.

I'm sure that he's sure.

> > citrus is
> > very new to the western world, but is native to asia.

> Er... "very new." Ancient Rome is "very new."
>
> > The dried peel
> > of what we in the west call seville orange is precisely what's used in
> > many oriental dishes.

> Uh... and he's sure "they just use an Asian name." In Asia,
> they all speak Asian. Why it's so easy to get around Asia -
> that one-language thing.
>
> > In the west seville orange peel is not used
> > dried, it's used fresh, mostly for jams

> <LOL> Shecky steps on his peepee again. Shocking...

I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for jams".
You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

I'm sure.

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Graeme...in London wrote:

> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for jams".
> You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

You UNeducated WOP rectum

Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
jam.

marmalade
[MAHR-muh-layd]
A preserve containing pieces of fruit rind, especially CITRUS FRUIT.
The original marmalades were made from quince - the Portuguese word
marmelada means "quince jam." Now, however, Seville oranges are the
most popular fruit for marmalades.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Oxford

marmalade
· noun
a preserve made from citrus fruit, especially bitter oranges.

- ORIGIN Portuguese marmelada 'quince jam', from marmelo
'quince'.
---

You dumbass london mother****er... Greezy Graeme...WOP ass****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sheldon wrote:
> Graeme...in London wrote:
>> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is
>> NOT "mostly for jams". You do not make jam with
>> oranges, you make marmalade.

> You UNeducated WOP rectum

<LOL> Cookie Katz goes from Zero to Asshole in .67 seconds.

> Jams, marmalades, jellies, all preserves... marmalade is
> definitely a jam.

<LOL> Sheldon's wishful thinking at its best, coupled with
his always-brilliant linguistic expertise, and sophistic
logic...

Sorry. No it isn't. Jams include the entire fruit.
Marmalades don't - no pulp.

In this case, quince "marmalade" uses only pulp. Recipes:
<http://thefoody.com/mrsbpreserve/quincemarmalade.html>

> marmalade [MAHR-muh-layd] A preserve containing pieces of
> fruit rind, especially CITRUS FRUIT. The original
> marmalades were made from quince - the Portuguese word
> marmelada means "quince jam." Now, however, Seville
> oranges are the most popular fruit for marmalades.

Made with quinces, it's still made with just the pulp. And
"marmelada" doesn't mean "quince jam" in Portuguese, it just
means that whatever the final concoction, it's made with
quinces. It's a lousy translation. The word "marmelada"
follows the same sort of format that other Romance languages
do where a proper name can be modified to mean the results
of processing whatever the named thing is or to mention the
major ingredient.

French - "****ala" was the major ingredient of a flatbread
that subsequently became known as "****aladiere."
Italian - Vitello tonato - veal that has been "tuna-ed."

Quince "marmalades" were strained to remove all skin, seeds
and cores. Citrus marmalades are made with just skins. Not
even parallel processes. It's a "foreign" word assumed into
English with little thought of accuracy. Like "olio" in
Britain that comes from "olla podrida" in Spanish. Or
British pronunciation of the French city whose name is
spelled "Ypres." Brits say "wipers."

English readily adopts and adapts words form other
languages. They almost always evolve to mean something very
different than was originally meant. This is one such example.

> Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based
> on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon
> Tyler Herbst.

Oh, yeah. The book you've successfully plundered for years,
quoting section after section, definition after definition
as though it were the best and only one available, and which
is infallible and complete. Moron.

> Oxford
>
> marmalade � noun a preserve made from citrus fruit,
> especially bitter oranges.

Hmmm. The word "jam" as applied to citrus fruits is
conspicuously missing from this one, too.

> - ORIGIN Portuguese marmelada 'quince jam', from marmelo
> 'quince'.

Quinces aren't citrus fruit. Not even distantly like
oranges. Preparation of marmelada results in a product much
like a dense apple butter, and if taken a bit further, to
quince paste, or "mermela" in Spanish (which also means
paste of any other kind of fruit). Citrus marmalades don't
have even a faraway resemblance.

Another moron play for Sheldon.

<LOL> Do pay attention to what Brits say on the subject.
They're rather more authoritative than you on this subject.

Recipe from Eliza Acton
4lb quinces, pared and cored
1 quart prepared juice
3lb sugar
For a richer marmalade:
4lb quinces
1 quart juice
4lb sugar
When to economise the fruit is not an object, pare, core and
quarter some of the inferior quinces, and boil them in as
much water as will nearly cover them, until they begin to
break; strain the juice from them and for the marmalade put
1/2 pt of it to each 1lb of fresh quinces: in preparing
these, be careful to cut out the hard stony parts round the
cores. Simmer them gently until they are perfectly tender,
then press them, with the juice, through a coarse sieve;
then put them into a perfectly clean pan, and boil them
until they form almost a dry paste; add for each pound of
quinces and the 1/2 pt of juice, 1/2 lb of sugar in fine
powder, and boil the marmalade for 1/2 hour, stirring it
gently without ceasing: it will be very firm and bright in
colour. If made shortly after the fruit is gathered, a
little additional sugar will be required; and when a richer
and less dry marmalade is better liked, it must be boiled
for a shorter time, and an equal weight of fruit and sugar
may be used.

Notice how unlike a citrus marmalade this is...?

Moron.

> You dumbass london mother****er... Greezy Graeme...WOP

ass****.

This substitutes for intelligence, communications,
rationality, and a statement of the depth and richness of
his character for Sheldon. Rather than any of those other
things, he does this instead. A lesson to us all.

Pastorio
Posted to alt.food.asian

"Sheldon" > wrote:
> Graeme...in London wrote:
> >
> > I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for
> > jam=

> s".
> > You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

> You UNeducated WOP rectum
>
> Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
> jam.

All this dumb Sichy WOP from da Bronx could find in the Oxford English
Dictionary was:

F. marmelade, in Cotgr. mermelade, a. Pg. marmelada, f. marmelo quince,
repr. (with dissimilation of consonants) L. melimelum, a. Gr. _________
(‘honey-apple’, f. ____ honey + _____ apple) the name of some kind of apple
which was grafted on a quince. From the Pg. word are also Sp. marmelada,
It. marmellata, and (through Fr.) G., Du., Da. marmelade, Sw. marmelad.]

1. a. A preserve or confection made by boiling fruits (orig. quinces, now
usually Seville oranges) with sugar, so as to form a consistent mass. Often
with prefixed word, as apricot, lemon, orange, quince marmalade; when there
is no word prefixed, orange marmalade is now commonly meant.

BTW Sheldon - PLONK!

~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Graeme...in London wrote:

> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for

jams".
> You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
jam.

This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this as I
would to a child.

Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.

Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
cannot be a lion.

Get it?

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> Graeme...in London wrote:
>> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for jams".
>> You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

> Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
> jam.
>
> This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this as I
> would to a child.
>
> Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.
>
> Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
> cannot be a lion.
>
> Get it?

"Get it?"

<LOL> Did you not notice it was Sheldon to whom you're
responding...?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Graeme...in London wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > Graeme...in London wrote:
> >> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for

jams".
> >> You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

> > Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
> > jam.
> >
> > This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this

as I
> > would to a child.
> >
> > Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.
> >
> > Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
> > cannot be a lion.
> >
> > Get it?

> "Get it?"
>
> <LOL> Did you not notice it was Sheldon to whom you're
> responding...?

I'm replying through alt.food.asian (not to be confused with
alt.onelanguage.asian) and don't know WTF this Sheldon geezer is.

I assume he's the punchbag and village idiot on your cooking group.

48 hours and 3 screw-ups. As Steve W. commented, this is where he'll "slink
away", or perhaps, visit China in search of the Seville orange groves of
Zhejiang and Jiangxi.

Sad gormless *******. . .

Graeme...who hails from the Marmalade capital of the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Graeme wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> Graeme wrote:
> >
> > I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for

> jams".
> > You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

> Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
> jam.
>
> This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this as I
> would to a child.
>
> Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.
>
> Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
> cannot be a lion.
>
> Get it?

You're saying orange marmalade can't be lemon marmalade, can't be
grapefruit marmalade... but they're all marmalades... only oranges
ain't grapefuits, aint' lemons either. And all marmalades are
preserves and all marmalades are jams as well, and all jams are
preserves. What everyone with a normal brain gets is that you have a
very low IQ (ie. WOP logic)... you just gotta be a WOP, yer daddy is a
donkey.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/jam...s/r/bln367.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Graeme wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote:
> > Graeme wrote:
> > >
> > > I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for

> > jams".
> > > You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

> > Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
> > jam.
> >
> > This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this

as I
> > would to a child.
> >
> > Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.
> >
> > Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
> > cannot be a lion.
> >
> > Get it?

> You're saying orange marmalade can't be lemon marmalade, can't be
> grapefruit marmalade... but they're all marmalades... only oranges
> ain't grapefuits, aint' lemons either. And all marmalades are
> preserves and all marmalades are jams as well, and all jams are
> preserves. What everyone with a normal brain gets is that you have a
> very low IQ (ie. WOP logic)... you just gotta be a WOP, yer daddy is a
> donkey.
>
> http://southernfood.about.com/od/jam...s/r/bln367.htm

You actually don't have a clue what's going on in this thread, do you?

WTF does your link do to answer the facts that have been put before you?

BTW, don't forget....Seville orange and China. The link has yet to be
proven.

Google away, cabin boy.

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sheldon wrote:
> Graeme wrote:
>> "Sheldon" wrote:
>> Graeme wrote:
>>> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for jams".
>>> You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

>> Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
>> jam.
>>
>> This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this as I
>> would to a child.
>>
>> Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.
>>
>> Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
>> cannot be a lion.
>>
>> Get it?

> You're saying orange marmalade can't be lemon marmalade, can't be
> grapefruit marmalade... but they're all marmalades... only oranges
> ain't grapefuits, aint' lemons either.

Here, shit-for-brains, let me help. You said they're all
"preserves." And from that bit of brilliance, you
extrapolated that marmalades were jams, defying logic,
language, intelligence and the form of your own words.

Moron.

> And all marmalades are
> preserves

No disagreement at this specific point. As all jellies are
preserves. But they aren't jams, by definition. Nor are
marmalades jellies, by definition. See how they separate
into categories, moron?

> and all marmalades are jams as well,

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT. Sorry Cookie, this is the
part that's pure bluster. All the definitions you've cited
seem to unanimously neglect to offer that marmalade = jam.
I'm sure you'll be able to find some, though, there's
certainly no shortage of morons in the world. Look at you...

> and all jams are preserves.

All Chevies are cars, all Mercuries are cars, all Cadillacs
are cars. Let Chevies = jellies. Let Mercuries = jams. Let
Cadillacs = marmalades. Let Cadillacs = Mercuries? You sure
you want to stick with that one?

> What everyone with a normal brain gets is that you have a
> very low IQ (ie. WOP logic)... you just gotta be a WOP, yer daddy is a
> donkey.
>
> http://southernfood.about.com/od/jam...s/r/bln367.htm

Bwahaha... A moron citing someone who doesn't know what a
jam is. Trying to make it sound more uptown by misusing the
name. It's peach jam, plain and simple. Perhaps the fact
that peaches aren't citrus fruit escaped your normally
thudding mind.

Moron.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>> Graeme...in London wrote:
>>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
>>> jam.
>>>
>>> This is your 3rd ****-up in this thread, so let me try to explain this as I
>>> would to a child.
>>>
>>> Jam is a preserve. Marmalade is a preserve.
>>>
>>> Using this simple theory; a lion is a cat and a tiger is a cat. A tiger
>>> cannot be a lion.
>>>
>>> Get it?

>> "Get it?"
>>
>> <LOL> Did you not notice it was Sheldon to whom you're
>> responding...?

> I'm replying through alt.food.asian (not to be confused with
> alt.onelanguage.asian) and don't know WTF this Sheldon geezer is.

That's all right. He forgets rather often, too. Confuses
vulgarity with content. Confuses vomitous insult with
substance. Counts on others not addressing him so crassly. A
fine example to us all.

> I assume he's the punchbag and village idiot on your cooking group.

Oh, you're too kind and generous. If he were to improve
1000%, he would have worked his way up to semi-solid colonic
effluent.

> 48 hours and 3 screw-ups. As Steve W. commented, this is where he'll "slink
> away", or perhaps, visit China in search of the Seville orange groves of
> Zhejiang and Jiangxi.

Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

> Sad gormless *******. . .

It was sad a decade ago. Now there's nothing left to be sad
about. He leads a pointless life only salvaged by his insane
and inane rantings here in RFC and a slew of cats he lets
wander on the food-preparation surfaces of his kitchen.
Presumably, he wipes their cute widdle feeties after they
use the litter box.

> Graeme...who hails from the Marmalade capital of the world.

And I suppose that gives you some kind of credentials,
compared to Sheldon who lives in rural, upper New York
state, an area famous for turning their citrus crops into
marmalade...

Oh, wait...

Ignore him unless you enjoy puncturing his bluster and
fatheadedness. Typing practice, at least. No great shakes to
demolish, as you've seen.

MC to Y&Y...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve mused about Sheldon:

> I wonder what sort of traumatic episode brought about all this hatred for
> Italians?

Oh, I posted the answer to THAT one back in September 2005:

"He couldn't get a discount from the Italian prostitutes, even with the
argument that his penis was only a quarter the size of a normal one."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On 2006-12-18, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:07:41 -0500, Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
>> by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
>> hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

> How about bloody WOP?

Since when have Brits been called wops?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-12-18, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:07:41 -0500, Bob (this one) wrote:
> >
> >> Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
> >> by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
> >> hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

> > How about bloody WOP?

> Since when have Brits been called wops?

SQWERTZ is kkkonfused, *Brits* call people wops, *Brits* are not wops...he's
very obviously got his entomology mixed up with his etymology.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Default Dried orange peel now OT

"Gregory Morrow" et>
> notbob wrote:

> > > How about bloody WOP?

> > Since when have Brits been called wops?

> SQWERTZ is kkkonfused, *Brits* call people wops, *Brits* are not
> wops...he's very obviously got his entomology mixed up with his
> etymology.

When the Romans invaded Britain in 43 AD, they found a country whose
religion was based on local stories, superstitions and beliefs with no
real order or consistency amongst the individual tribes. Their first port
of call was the south east of England, which had a race that consisted of,
with their own beliefs, and Belgic and Gallic people that had taken refuge
in Britain. These immigrants had brought their own brand of worship with
them.

The Romans were relaxed in their attitudes to the tribes, as they knew that
their religion was fundamental to their existence. There was one tribe that
the Romans despised because of their ways. This tribe was the Druids of
Angelsey.

The Romans had become the sworn enemy of the Druids, claiming this was due
to their barbaric sacrifices of humans at an altar. This attitude was
hypocritical in view of the legendary Roman gladiatorial battles and their
treatment of the early Christians.

The Romans had two reasons for any action. The public statement of why
their actions were justified, and the private political motives behind
their stance. The Druids were no exception, and the Roman claim to
justifiably wiping out this tribe on purely religious grounds was a a cover
for their real motives.

The Druids had been driven out of Gaul and into Britain, then on to
Angelsey by the advancing Roman army, acting under orders from the Emperor.
The Druids had influential power in the Roman world, mostly because of the
mystic fear that they installed in all those they encountered. They had
become too vocal in matters of education and Roman politics and it was this
that led to the persecution of them by the Romans.

Apart from Druidism, the remainder of the religions in Britain were largely
untouched. Probably because the Romans knew that religion in Britain was
regarded in very much the same way that it was in Rome. A basic fundamental
principle of the way of life.

A comment from a Sichy WOP kid from da Bronx.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Dec 17, 8:17 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> I'm happy that you've used them in cooking, but that's not the
> point. Asians do not use them in cooking.

The "point" was that someone was looking for a specific ingredient and
a "discussion" arose about substitutes. Your "point", apparently, is
that this guy Sheldon is a poltroon and anything he writes must be
hammered flat.

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Dec 18, 1:58 am, "Gregory Morrow"
et> wrote:

> SQWERTZ is kkkonfused, *Brits* call people wops, *Brits* are not wops...he's
> very obviously got his entomology mixed up with his etymology.

Dang. I could have sworn that Brits called some other people "wogs".
Tricky language.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

<snippage>

> Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
> by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
> hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

Sheldon assumed from my sig that I'm a Londoner, or English, which I'm
certainly not. 110% Scottish, and proud of it, too.

I understand WOP to mean having Italian ancestrary. Probably unbeknown to
Sheldon, the Romans didn't invade Scotland. They defined the
Scotland/England border that remains today.

FWIW, marmalade is an institution in Scotland and it's made throughout the
country.

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> <snippage>
> > Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
> > by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
> > hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

> Sheldon assumed from my sig that I'm a Londoner, or English, which I'm
> certainly not. 110% Scottish, and proud of it, too.
>
> I understand WOP to mean having Italian ancestrary. Probably unbeknown to
> Sheldon, the Romans didn't invade Scotland. They defined the
> Scotland/England border that remains today.

Actually, while Scotland never became part of the Roman Empire, there were
Roman incursions into Scotland from 79 AD to 208 AD. The Romans were never
able to subjugate the Scots.

Why the Brits would hate WOPS is beyond me. They were only subjects of Rome
for around 400 years; they've been passive subjects of the Crown far
longer. ;-D

Graeme, does the British/Scottish boundary follow the course of Hadrian’s
Wall? Dumb Sichy from da Bronx question. ;-)

> FWIW, marmalade is an institution in Scotland and it's made throughout
> the country.

And damned good stuff it is, too. I got several jars from one of the whisky
distillers after I visited you and it was a little bit of the Holy Land!

~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
> <snippage>
>
>> Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
>> by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
>> hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

> Sheldon assumed from my sig that I'm a Londoner, or English, which I'm
> certainly not. 110% Scottish, and proud of it, too.
>
> I understand WOP to mean having Italian ancestrary.

Correct. I was joking. Sheldon calls people who show him to
be the foolish fraud he is all sorts of names, usually
including WOP. Ethnic realities notwithstanding.

> Probably unbeknown to
> Sheldon, the Romans didn't invade Scotland. They defined the
> Scotland/England border that remains today.

That wouldn't matter to sludgewit Sheldon. He'll call your
mother names, your sister and all
sexual/scatological/bestial in nature, revealing the true
elegance of his inner workings.

> FWIW, marmalade is an institution in Scotland and it's made throughout the
> country.

Been there, ate that. Spent a lot of time in the chilly
North and around Glasgow. Very different experiences. But
the food was brilliant. It was before everything was
deep-fried. <G> I feel like Keiller and Dundee are names
somewhere deep in my family tree.

Pay no mind to Sheldon. Every village needs an idiot to make
the bell curve come alive.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

> wrote in message
> "Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> > "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> > <snippage>
> > > Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
> > > by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
> > > hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

> > Sheldon assumed from my sig that I'm a Londoner, or English, which I'm
> > certainly not. 110% Scottish, and proud of it, too.
> >
> > I understand WOP to mean having Italian ancestrary. Probably unbeknown

> > Sheldon, the Romans didn't invade Scotland. They defined the
> > Scotland/England border that remains today.

> Actually, while Scotland never became part of the Roman Empire, there were
> Roman incursions into Scotland from 79 AD to 208 AD. The Romans were never
> able to subjugate the Scots.

Correct. The Romans ventured as far as Bo'ness on the East and Old
Kirkpatrick to the West, and they built a second wall, Antonine Wall. My
mother lives no more than 300 meters from the walls end and a turret still
stands today. A vast swathe of wall was lost a few years ago when an old
disused mine shaft collapsed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Wall

> Graeme, does the British/Scottish boundary follow the course of Hadrian$BCT(B
> Wall? Dumb Sichy from da Bronx question. ;-)

Not exactly, but very close. Hadrians Wall is solely in England, but only by
a few miles. The border areas between the wall and the current border were
fought over for years.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.asian

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> Dang. I could have sworn that Brits called some other people "wogs".
> Tricky language.

Remarkable as this may seem, the term "wog" is actually on-topic for this
thread.

The history of the word refers back to a Scottish preserve manufacturer,
Robertson's, who had a little black faced golliwog as their company motif. A
disparaging term, was to call black people golliwogs (as per Robertson's
logo), which subsequently was shortened to "wogs".

The PC folks at the beginning of the '70's lobbied Robertson's to change
their logo, and they duly did. It's become an iconic piece of
marketing/advertising folklore.

Graeme

Dried vs. Fresh citrus peel/zest [email protected] General Cooking 3 20-07-2008 10:36 PM
Orange peel Jmateus Diabetic 6 10-07-2007 09:53 AM
Dried orange peel James Silverton General Cooking 38 19-12-2006 11:44 AM
Choc. Bar containing candied orange peel? david Hume Chocolate 0 15-11-2006 09:41 AM