Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

Default Chinese food vs Japanese food

On 2006-12-02 09:09:21 -0800, rinshinomori > said:

> Gastric cancer is declining in Japan because people eat
> more fresh vegetables and less salt...

Well it's nice to have authoritative medical conclusions. Exactly what
percentage of such cancers is related to veg/salt and what percentage
to other things? In Japan?
--
What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

Today's news:

"Half of world's stomach cancer victims in China

BEIJING (Reuters) - China accounts for about half of the global annual
death toll from stomach cancer due to the Chinese taste for pickled and
smoked food and unabashed enthusiasm for smoking, the official Xinhua
news agency said.

The disease kills about 300,000 people in China a year and there are
400,000 new cases reported annually, Xinhua said in a report seen on
Wednesday.

Only lung and liver cancer kill more people in China, it quoted Jin
Maolin, a doctor at Peking University, as saying..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/hl_nm/china_dc_1

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

In article >, says...
> Maybe because half of the world's population of humans live in China?

Half?! Try 20%.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

Nice Try Limbaughian statistician.

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, says...
>> Maybe because half of the world's population of humans live in China?
>>

> Half?! Try 20%.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

On 2006-12-07 14:56:54 -0800, "Default User" > said:

> Where did you get that idea? The world's population is about 6.5
> billion, China's about 1.3. So less than 1/4.

So for China to have half the cases of stomach cancer is vastly
disproportionate to the rest of the world.
--
What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

On 2006-12-07 23:59:01 -0500, Gerry > said:

> On 2006-12-07 14:56:54 -0800, "Default User" > said:
>
>> Where did you get that idea? The world's population is about 6.5
>> billion, China's about 1.3. So less than 1/4.

> So for China to have half the cases of stomach cancer is vastly
> disproportionate to the rest of the world.

The rate of stomach cancer in the US would be much higher, if it
weren't for the fact that people are more likely to die of an
obesity-related illness first. It's been proposed that any male who
lives long enough will eventually succumb to prostate cancer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

On 2006-12-07 22:16:35 -0800, Hal Burton > said:

> On 2006-12-07 23:59:01 -0500, Gerry > said:
>
>> On 2006-12-07 14:56:54 -0800, "Default User" > said:
>>
>>> Where did you get that idea? The world's population is about 6.5
>>> billion, China's about 1.3. So less than 1/4.

>> So for China to have half the cases of stomach cancer is vastly
>> disproportionate to the rest of the world.

> The rate of stomach cancer in the US would be much higher, if it
> weren't for the fact that people are more likely to die of an
> obesity-related illness first.

So if we could all get our weight down we could kick China's ass at
stomach-cancer. Go team America!

> It's been proposed that any male who lives long enough will eventually
> succumb to prostate cancer.

Well if they live long enough to avoid dying of everything else, I
suppose it would increase the frequency of death by being speared by a
lunatic.
--
What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi,alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian,alt.food.wine

Saturday night specials are cheap.

Let's just wing ourselves around eleven years old - and we'll be the
least cancerous nation on the planet!