Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Cocunut Milk Powders

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Usually I just need a little bit of coconut milk (and even those
> smaller cans are too much) and I end up putting the rest in ice
> cube trays.
>
> Are the powdered coconut milks an acceptable substitute? DO they
> keep well in an airtight jar?
>
> -sw

very well, indeed. i no longer use the tinned stuff
since forever. i find it easier to 'control' the
richness of coconut milk than the liquid in a tin,
which spoils much quicker once opened.

cheers
Posted to alt.food.asian

Hello, Steve!
You wrote on Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:23:10 GMT:

??>> Steve Wertz wrote:
??>>> Usually I just need a little bit of coconut milk (and
??>>> even those smaller cans are too much) and I end up
??>>> putting the rest in ice cube trays.
??>>>
??>>> Are the powdered coconut milks an acceptable substitute?
??>>> DO they keep well in an airtight jar?
??>>
??>> very well, indeed. i no longer use the tinned stuff
??>> since forever. i find it easier to 'control' the
??>> richness of coconut milk than the liquid in a tin,
??>> which spoils much quicker once opened.

SW> Cool ("Good", for those of us not from the 70's era). I
SW> tend to shy away from anything dehydrated, but I kinda
SW> thought these may actually work pretty well. Mostly I use
SW> the CM for richness (as you mention), and I didn't what to
SW> sacrifice that with a dehydrated product.

SW> Holy crap - I just looked up the fat content of coconut
milk:
SW> http://nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20on.html

SW> No wonder it's so good!

If you don't use the powdered stuff very frequently, you could
keep it in the freezer. I do that for freeze-dried coffee and it
seems to keep for ever. Come to think if it, tho' I grind my own
coffee beans, I keep the unground beans in the freezer too. It
is not necessary to defrost before grinding.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.asian

"> Holy crap - I just looked up the fat content of coconut milk:
> http://nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20on.html
>
> No wonder it's so good!
>
> -sw

I usually buy the same brand of coconut milk, but I do believe it varies in
fat content. In the same temperature, I've opened a can that was almost
solid, to the other extreme, very thin. I've often wondered how consistent
this could really be as to fat content -- I just use it without discretion,
as about the only thing I use it for is curries.

I usually use a whole can whenever I use coconut milk, but I do have a box
of unopened dehydrated, so thanks for the question.

However, just curious as to what type of receipe (one will do) other than a
coriander chuntney which uses a small measure of coconut milk, would call
for a small amount of coconut milk.

Yum-ily
Dee

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 00:58:42 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:25:12 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> "> Holy crap - I just looked up the fat content of coconut milk:
>>> http://nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20on.html
>>>
>>> No wonder it's so good!

>> I usually buy the same brand of coconut milk, but I do believe it varies in
>> fat content. In the same temperature, I've opened a can that was almost
>> solid, to the other extreme, very thin. I've often wondered how consistent
>> this could really be as to fat content -- I just use it without discretion,
>> as about the only thing I use it for is curries.

>I've bought cans like that. The top 12/3rd of the can was solid
>cream (fat, probably).
>
>> However, just curious as to what type of receipe (one will do)
>> other than a coriander chuntney which uses a small measure of
>> coconut milk, would call for a small amount of coconut milk.

>I don't use a lot of coconut milk in any recipe calling for it.
>It's just too rich and overpowering. And leftovers don't taste
>too good, IMO. In some recipes I will use a full measure, but
>not in most.
>
>I also make a great (or at least I think so) avocado-serrano
>sauce/salsa using coconut milk. The powdered would make it less
>watery.

Care to post the recipe? TIA.

Posted to alt.food.asian

ramon > wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 00:58:42 GMT, Steve Wertz
> >On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:25:12 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> >I also make a great (or at least I think so) avocado-serrano
> >sauce/salsa using coconut milk. The powdered would make it less
> >watery.
> >

> Care to post the recipe? TIA.

While Steve searches his archives (and I'm really anxious to see the
coconut milk usage), here's mine (sans coconut milk). I don't remember
where I got it.

South of the Border Guacamole Serves: 8

Ingredients

1/2 Cup chopped white onion
1 to 100 cloves garlic, crushed
4 (or to taste) Serrano chiles or the fire of your choice, chopped
1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp salt (to taste)
4 California Avocados
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3/4 Cup tomato, seeded and well drained

Instructions

1. In a food processor, combine onion, garlic, chiles, cilantro and salt;
reserve. Coarsely mash (DO NOT PUREE) California avocados. Fold in reserved
onion mixture, then tomato. Serve with tortilla chips.

2. Guacamole is best made as close to service as possible. Store in an
airtight container with plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole.

My daughter loves this. She used about 1/2 dozen cloves of garlic, quarters
the chiles (Serrano, Jalapeño &/or Thai), then thin slices 'em. Fork mashes
the avocados, cuts the tomatoes into little pieces. She also makes a killer
clam dip.

~Semper Fi~