Gregory Gadow

Default Carbohydrate Choices???????

Wmkcross wrote:

> >When I was first dxed a "carb choice" was explained to me to be 15 grams
> >carb. Therefore if I was to have 3 "carb choices" for dinner then it would
> >be 45 grams carb.

> 15g = 1 carb choice.This much I understand. What I don't understand is how many
> carb choices am I allowed each day?

While a planning device such as "carb choice" is flexible, I personally don't find
them very useful for long-term planning. I'm happy to use the older Exchange device
from the American Diabetic Association modified slightly with a direct carb count.
The Exchanges have a specific list of exchanges for how many calories you want to
consume every day, with the added benefit of being nutritionally balance; exchanges
are not "carbohydrates" but "bread" and "meat" and "dairy" and "fat" and "fruit"
and "vegetable." You can go to the ADA website (http://www.diabetes.ORG) and do a
search on "exchanges" for more info.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin