Vicki Beausoleil

Default Bread and Butter Pickles

We have discussed Bread and Butter Pickles here in the past. They're not
terribly diabetic-friendly. Here's a recipe I wish I had gotten during
cuke season.

Bread and Butter Pickles

3 pounds cucumbers
3/4 pound onions
1/4 cup pickling salt
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups Splenda Granular
1 1/2 tblsp. celery seed
1 1/2 tblsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. turmeric

Thoroughly wash cucmbers. Slice unpeeled cucumbers into 1/8 inch thick
slices to measure 12 cups. Slice onions the same thickness to measure 1
1/2 cups.

In a large bowl, layer cucumbers and onions lightly sprinkling each
layer with pickling salt. Cover and let stand at least 3 hours. Drain.
Rinse well in colander with cold water; drain thoroughly.

In large stainless steel or enamel saucepan, combine remaining
ingredients. Bring to a boil. Stir in well drained vegetables and return
to full boil. Remove from heat.

Pack vegetables into hot sterilized 1 or 2 cup canning jars. Pour liquid
over, covering vegetables and leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Apply 2-piece
canning lids that have been in boiling water 5 minutes. Process in
boiling water bath 10 minutes. Cool and check for seal. Store in cool
dark location.

Makes 7 cups

Per 1/4 cup serving

24 calories