Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default starting outdoor fire issues, help needed

"mikehende" > wrote:
> Last issue, what's the situation when starting a fire in high wind?

Protection! First, ensuring that no flying embers ascape to start fires
elsewhere, including on you. Second, protecting your fire from the wind. If
I'm starting a hatful of fire, I pile up some rocks or make a berm around
where I'm gonna build the fire, then curl my body around the windward side
of the stack of tinder and kindling until it's caught.

I've never tried building a fire in a high or howling wind. That's when I
cop out and use a Svea or Primus. ;-)

In my New Braunfels offset, it's no problem, as I can shut the firebox and
smoke chamber lids and shut down the dampers.

Fire is good, but can also be very dangerous and unpredictable, as the
people in Malibu, CA are experiencing as I type.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~