Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude[_2_] Sonoran Dude[_2_] is offline

Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:27:31 -0700, Sonoran Dude wrote:
>
>> Was in L.A. last weekend and we got a French Dip type sandwich from a
>> local chain that was like a big Itallian Beef grinder w/onions, peppers
>> and dipped in the AuJus. The sandwich was topped with these delicious
>> hot pickled peppers. Anyone know this joint?

> LA is a big place. Did this place have a name?
>
>> They had the same shape and size of the serrano but I didn't think they
>> packed the heat of a raw serrano but they were crunchy and delicious...
>> Anyone know if you can get these peppers from a can anywhere?

> They're called sport peppers. Slightly fatter than most serrano
> peppers and popular for use on Chicago hot dogs and Italian beef
> sandwiches.
>
> -sw

The place is just a block East of Beach next to Knotts Berry Farm. It's
a large pad type drive thru place in front of a shopping mall. I think
you are correct on the pepper and have had them for years on other
sandwiches. This place sliced the whole pepper into little 1/2 inch
chunks and had a great mouth feel and heat. They seemed a little spicier
than the traditional Chicago Dog pepper but may have just seemed that
way since there was much more than a single pepper on the sandwich.
Maybe the key is to try and pickle the serrano and serve them similarly.