Juan Antonio

Default sleepies in front of the TV

I've coveted Tivo for years because I thought I could live without it. Now
that I have it, I LOVE my Tivo. (I also have DirecTV, which is also very
cool.)

If you have a particular show that you watch, you can program it to tape the
whole season, so you don't have to keep setting the VCR every week. Also,
you can set it to record all episodes, or just the first runs.

I have mine set to watch for key words like "diabetes" and it finds shows
that are about diabetes and records them. So far it's found a couple of
shows that were interesting which I never would have known about to watch
otherwise.

So back to your original dilemma, Tivo will help you find things you really
want to watch so maybe you'll have a better chance of staying interested and
staying awake.

BTW, it's all menu driven and easy to set up and use. I'm hoping my mom
will get one to help her record shows, which she probably wouldn't take the
time to do on a VCR because it's so tedious. With the Tivo, she could
actually enjoy TV when she wants to.

(That's another thing, you don't have to wait for it to stop recording
before you watch that recording. So, for example, if you are wanting to
watch a particular show, but want to fast forward through the commercials,
wait until it has recorded about 15-30 minutes and then you can fast forward
through the commercials.)

In case this hasn't been discussed, it also allows you to pause and rewind
live TV that you are watching. So, if you missed the last phrase someone
said, and you want to know what it was, you can go back and pick it up.

I knjow this is WAY OT, but I hope it's helpful.

--
Antonio in Los Angeles
Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years
"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:34:01 -0500, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>
> >That's one reason why I don't like TV or movies very much. Both put me

> >sleep very quickly. I can only manage to stay awake if it is something I
> >really want to watch.

> This is why you need a TiVo! There's always something I want to watch
> on it because I've asked mine to go out and find me things I like to

watch!
> Though, I will grant, I consider movie watching one of my hobbies, so

> do watch a lot of movies on TV. The great thing about TiVo is that there's
> always a movie I want to see, and I don't end up wandering around the
> channels on a lazy Sunday afternoon looking for something to watch when
> there isn't anything that interests me.
>
> I'm also able to compress my watching time because I can skip the
> commercials easily (or hop back to see them if I want), which is faster
> than just fast forwarding through them. Though most of the movies I watch
> don't have commercials, we are watching, uhm, five broadcast shows.
> *counts* Alias, 24, Malcolm in the Middle, ER, nope, looks like four
> broadcast shows. The other series we watch is Jeremiah, but that's on
> Showtime. Anyway, the great thing is we can watch these any time and the
> quality is much better than on a tape.
>
> Anyway, I guess my point is just if you had a TiVo, you'd probably be
> surprised at how much stuff there is out that that's actually interesting.
> I get lots of interesting documentaries that I never had time to search

for
> in the listings before.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
> "Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the

human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"