Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JohnO[_2_] JohnO[_2_] is offline

Default starting outdoor fire issues, help needed

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
>I have a chimney starter and will use is at the advice given here but I
> would like to know just to have the knowledge on how best to start a fire
> if I'm in a situation where I don't have one around. Alright so I
> understand the concept I think, start with small chips and increase the
> size of the wood using the logs last. Are there any tricks when using
> moist or cold logs which could take forever to light assuming you don't
> have a chimney starter?

Tinder is the smallest stuff, lots of good choices for that. Kindling is the
next size up, maybe 1/4 the size of the fuel (your split logs) or a bit
smaller. For wet logs you need a good-sized pile of kindling, enough to boil
off the moisture which allows the fuel to burn by itself.

Cold logs means little in terms of lighting the fire, in my experience.
Moisture is the key.

What you need is an experienced Boy Scout. ;-)

-John O