Posted to alt.food.barbecue
mikehende mikehende is offline

Default starting outdoor fire issues, help needed

I am not sure this topic belongs in this forum so if it's not please move
it to the appropriate forum [thanks].

I am in need of help and advice with regards to starting outdoor fire
for cooking using firewood. First question, about 4 months ago I had cut
down a dried maple tree and sawed up it's trunk into big 3'pieces,
yesterday I chopped up 1 piece of trunk into smaller pieces to use for a
cookout but noticed that while the outer edge of the trunk is dry, the
inside is moist and this wood took forever to light, I am thinking of
chopping up all of the rest of trunks so the inside pieces can dry out
faster with the natural air so when I need to use the firewood from now on
the inside will be totally dry but a friend is telling me that since the
wood will be placed outside the house now that we are going into winter
time, that the inside of the wood will be cold so it's better to leave it
as it is and chop it up only when needed, what should I do here please?