Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default DID YOU NOTICE THE SHIPPING COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ozzy wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in
> :
>

>> DID YOU NOTICE THE SHIPPING COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> US $24.88
>>
>> Also, a 97.6% happy buyer ratio is very low for EBAY;
>> Avoid, Avoid, Avoid
>>

> It's not so very low when you have over 500 transactions, but I agree that
> nearly $25 doesn't strike me as what parcel post would cost, not everywhere
> in the lower 48. (According to <http://www.usps.com/rates/parcel-post-
> rates.htm> it goes by distance & weight.)

I would encourage anyone to avoid buying from this spammer. Or any spammer.

However, a quick discussion about pricing might be in order. PayPal
charges the vendor a percentage of the sales price, but not of the
shipping. So some vendors put low prices on stuff with a "buy it now"
option and really high shipping. Of course it doesn't cost $25 to ship
the popcorn. Of course the popcorn is worth more than a penny.

As a buyer, look at the total of the sale price and shipping and decide
if that is a reasonable total. eBay has recently changed the sort
options on their displays so you can sort by the price + shipping costs,
which makes comparisons easier.

Personally, I think that this approach - low price with high shipping
costs - is unfair to PayPal and I don't buy from sellers who do that.
As a seller, I don't do that either. It's just not right! If you don't
like PayPal, don't use them. If you use them, you should pay them
fairly for their services.

Mike