Default Ice cream

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:57:32 -0400, Ted Rosenberg
> wrote:

>cc'd by email
>
>There is nothing wrong with ice cream, it is HOW MUCH
>
>I tried all the special ice creams. Either they were actually high in
>carbs, just low in "sugar", or they were MODERATE in carbs and VERY low
>in taste.
>
>I now eat good premium ice cream.
>
>I rarely have more than a single tablespoon, I make sure that I cut out
>other carbs (like bread) when I am planing to have ice cream, and I only
>have some every month or so.
>
>I find than a taste of good stuff is much better than a lot of lousy stuff.
>
>Oh, and since my wife and son usually have some in the freezer, if I get
>up with a late night hypo, I don't take glucose, or even sugared soda, I
>take ICE CREAM, or something else good.
>
>Linda wrote:
>
>> I have never looked in on your group before but would really appreciate it
>> if anyone has a diabetic ice cream recipe. My husband has type 2 diabetes
>> and would love to have some again.
>> Thanks.

Hi Linda. I have to agree with Ted, except that I eat a very small
serve a little more often. Read the labels carefully, particularly for
sugar, total fat and saturated fat.
I have found enormous differences, but the odd thing is that the
premium brands over here seem to be lowest in sugar and saturated fat.
Even within brands there can be significant variation between
different flavours.
One of the reasons I started to distrust my dietitian was that he
advised our diabetics course that ice-cream was a "free" food. I wish.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz