Old 18-10-2007, 04:17 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Anders TÝrneskog Anders TÝrneskog is offline

Default Donnhoff Spatlese buying advice

Go for the 2003's. :-)
Wein-plus points and drinking times for the mentioned wines a
2003 Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese 92, till 2020
2004 Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese 87, till 2008
2004 Schlossbockelheim Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese n.a.
2004 Schlossbockelheim Kupfergrube Riesling Spatlese 84. till 2007 (Note
that a wein-plus score of 84 is 'very good')

Point levels for their other 2003's are significantly higher than for
corresponding 2004's.

However, your mileage may be different - I'd try them all :-)

Anders

"Salil" skrev i melding
oups.com...
I recently had my first experience with one of Donnhoff's wines - a
2000 Hermannshohle Auslese that showed few signs of being from a
relatively poor vintage (aside from slightly low acidity, compared to
most other German Rieslings I've had) and blew me away with each sip.
Since then I've kept my eye out for more, particularly his Spatlesen
which I've heard a lot about.

A local retailer has stock of a handful from 03 and 04 at quite
reasonable prices. Wines a
2003 Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese
2004 Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese
2004 Schlossbockelheim Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese
2004 Schlossbockelheim Kupfergrube Riesling Spatlese

Was wondering if anyone has experience with these wines, and could
recommend one of the four to start off with to introduce myself to
Donnhoff's Spats.

Thanks,

Salil