Julie Bove

Default Ice cream

"Linda" > wrote in message
> I know it must sound silly, we live in England and my husbands diabetic
> nurse just tells him to cut right down on sugar and stay of off sauces in
> foods.We know there are carbs in food such as potatoes,pasta and bread but
> do not know how much is good or too much.
> Thankyou for all your replies.

Don't listen to the nurse. She is giving bad advice. Diabetics can pretty
much eat anything they want. It all boils down to a matter of portion size.
Now granted, that portion might be only one bite. And for that reason, some
of us choose to give up certain foods. Rice is now a no-no for me unless
it's just a few spoonfuls mixed into a soup. I'd advise your husband to see
a dietician, but from what I've heard, the dieticians in England aren't
doing the diabetics any favors either! Sugar is a carb, just as potatoes,
bread, fruit, corn, and many other foods. All will affect BG, but they
don't necessarily need to be avoided.

A simple way to look at diet is that a serving of something carb laden will
contain about 15 g of carb. How many servings your husband can eat at one
time is another matter. I can usually eat 2 servings for breakfast, and 3
for lunch and dinner. We're all different. The best way for him to find
out how foods affect him is to test his BG before eating and then two hours
after. If his BG is too high, then he ate too much.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/