Posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] willfain@gmail.com is offline

Default Pizza dough- Type"00" flour, etc...

On Sep 14, 1:05 am, "M. Halbrook" > wrote:
> wrote in news:1176304315.799153.107590
> @n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Gluten is the protien that makes dough crispy. I hope
> > that helps.

> Okay, I know this is old, but it makes it chewy, not crispy.

Actually, the gluten should make it both chewy and crispy. The gluten,
in my experience, helps make the dough more cohesive and easier to
stretch without breaking, and results in a more dense hole structure
when baking. A higher gluten dough will also burn faster though. So if
you're looking for a crisp bottom and a spongy outter crust, more
gluten is probably for you. I've recently started using KA Bread
Flour, which is about 13% protein.