Steve

Default A Challenge To Bakers : Help me upgrade this recipe : PumpkinFlax Muffins

Hi;

I found the recipe below on the web, freely available, so there should
be no copyright issues.

I would like to modify it such that

- each muffin gets at least 2 table spoons of ground flax seed.

- some, most, or all of the wheat flour is replaced by TEFF flour
( to boost the calcium content).

- replace the sucanant with stevia

- replace the wheat bran and wheat germ with something else

- if practical, replace the soy milk with something else vegan.

I'm not a baker so I don't know which ingredients/amounts I need
to keep to make the muffins work.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Feel up for a culinary development challenge?

Steve

From http://vegweb.com/food/bread/6598.shtml
From , 05/10/04

Cole's Original Flax-Chocolate Chip-Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

* 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
* 1/2 cup wheat bran
* 1 cup ground flax seeds
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup vegan soymilk or vegan yogurt
* 1 1/2 cups vegan pumpkin puree
* 1/2 cup Sucanat
* 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F.

Line twelve muffins cups with paper liners.

In large bowl, whisk together flour, bran, flax, wheat germ,
baking powder, and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, whisk together soymilk or vegan yogurt, pumpkin,
Sucanat, and vegan chocolate chips.

Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until combined.
Spoon into muffin cups (a large ice-cream scoop works best).

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Serves: 12

Preparation time: 10 minutes + baking

--
Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"