Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Felix Karpfen Felix Karpfen is offline

Default Ready to try Rye (I think)

"Madcat" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I baked my first rye loaf the other day and while it was very
> flavorfull it was extremely dense with a very tight crumb. the recipe
> is from here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sourdough-Rye/Detail.aspx .

Some belated two-bits-worth from a seasoned rye-bread baker.

If you are just starting with baking rye-breads and have *no*
preconceptions about how it <should |should not> be done, then you have 2
alternative strategies open to you:

1. Take the listed ingredients of your chosen recipe as gospel and play
with the procedure until you get something that you like to eat; or

2. Settle on a procedure that you can live with and play with the
ingredients (type and amounts).

In my case (located in Australia), only the second option was viable
because our flours appear to have only a passing resemblance to the flours
that are available in the US and in Europe.

And one other comment.

I looked at the quoted URL and note that the (favorable) comments date
from 2003/4.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. You might find
it helpful to view some relevant threads, that have posted to this NG.

Good luck.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen