Posted to rec.food.baking
D and d Jordan D and d Jordan is offline

Default Dry Sour dough

I have made many loaves of bread and many loaves of sour dough and I
tried a new recipe this past Sunday. It was a Sour Dough Raisin Bread
supposedly revised from James Beard's recipe. The bread rose; it
browned and came out of the pans just fine. The dough is dry and not
moist. It contained 2 cups of sour cream, but was not velvety. I kept
back about a cup of flour from the six the recipe called for. (I have
made James Beard's recipe for cinnamon bread and it also contains 2
cups of sour cream. I understood that the wetter the dough, the better
flavor.

Now to my question:

Is it the shortage of flour that makes dough dry?
Is it insufficient kneading?
Is it a bad recipe?

Doreen
In Northern Minnesota