Sherry Martin

Default Tomato sauce substitute

I just tried this last night, and it's pretty good. I got it off the web
somewhere. Amounts aren't exact - make to your taste.

No-Nightshade Pasta Sauce
- 2 to 8 carrots (I used 6 small)
- 1 to 3 small cans of beets (I used fresh, steamed)
- 1 to 2 onions
- 3 to 5 (or more?) cloves of garlic
- olive oil (I left this out)
- salt & pepper to taste
- basil & oregano to taste (and others? thyme, dill, marjoram?)
- red wine or balsamic vinegar

Cut up carrots and boil them, either in water or in the water-salt-beet
juice that canned beets are packed in. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a
large, heavy-bottomed pot. Chop onion and garlic an saute in olive oil.
When the carrots are soft, drain (reserve liquid), add drained beets (also
reserve liquid), and process until smooth in blender or food processor. You
may need to add some of the reserved liquid while processing.

Pour pureed carrots and beets into olive oil/garlicmixture, along with salt,
pepper, herbs and vinegar to taste. Add reserved liquid if necessary.
Simmer for at least 15 minutes - longer and/or hotter if the sauce isn't
thick enough