Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default What's it called?

"Melondy" > wrote in message
et...
> A Mexican friend of mine used to invite me over to their house and serve
> me a fabulous dish, they said it was an old family dish, that was based
> on noodles, of all things. I didn't even think Mexicans used noodles. It
> had tomatoes, onions, chiles, and chorizo in it, too. Does this have a
> name or does anyone know the recipe? Or was this just a Californian
> aberration?
>
> Melondy

Noodles, aka Pasta has been a main item in Mexican cooking since Cortez
conquered them back in 1523. The road from the port of Veracruz to Mexico
City is about 400 miles as the crow flies, and about 600 winding up and down
the slopes of two mountain ranges. About midway the monks established a
resting place called Puebla. They brought in nuns to run the hospice and
conquerors, priests, diplomats, traders, pirates, thieves, politicians took
a break there for centuries, even to the mid 1900's. The Spanish brought
wheat in the form of grain for bread, and flour from where pasta is made,
Italian and Spanish style. They also brought chickens, pigs, cows and
horses... not to mention the plague that killed off most Amerindians. But
took back syphilis, a gift from the Amerindians.

So the exchange of foods and diseases, culture and warfare tactics has not
changed much since Adam and Eve. Right?

So... I'm thinking that you had a bowl of Fideo soup. Made from vermilion
thin pasta rolled into cakes and put into boiling broth, adding the salsas
and chorizo as the pot boils, then serving quickly. It's one of my
favorites, but I don't use the pork sausage chorizo... prefer chicken thighs
and drumsticks if I want meat in my Fideo soup.

Check with Rolly in this newsgroup for other ideas of what you may have been
enjoying.