Posted to rec.food.cooking
Becca Becca is offline

Default Creamy Banana Pudding

Goomba38 wrote:

> I agree. It has a very unpleasant odor and taste to me. Not to mention
> that the recipe posted was already sweet with the use of the "instant
> pudding" mix.
> I'd rather have a homemade custard that isn't as sweet and lets the true
> banana flavor shine. I don't want to *only* taste "sweet"

You will notice the recipe below includes cream cheese. It tastes sweet,
but not overly sweet. I use this recipe, but I do not include Cool
Whip, and I do not use that many bananas.

Becca

Banana Pudding

* 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla pudding, instant or cooked
* 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
* 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip
* 1 to 2 (12-ounce) boxes vanilla wafers
* 6 to 10 bananas, depending on size

Prepare the vanilla pudding according to the directions on the box,
using milk. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the pudding to the
cream cheese, then the milk and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in the Cool Whip.

Layer the dish alternately with wafers, bananas and pudding; the pudding
layers should be about 1 inch thick. Repeat until you run out of
pudding. Scatter crushed wafers over the top.