Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Quick & Dirty Wild Rice Soup

2 pkgs. Uncle Ben's White & Wild Rice*
4 c. chicken broth
1/2 pint half & half

That's about it, folks. Cook the rice mix per specifications. Place it in
a deep pot and add chicken broth (use homemade stock if you have it) and the
half & half. You may certainly add full cream if desired. Cover and heat
through. Tasty and filling; a good fall soup.

White & Wild Herbed Rice

I've been making and baking this for over 20 years. It's quite delicious.
And yes, I use butter. But the recipe does allow for those who use
margarine instead LOL

1/4 c. uncooked wild rice
3/4 c. uncooked long-grain white rice
3 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 Tbs. dried parsley
scant 1/2 tsp. bottled Kitchen Bouquet sauce
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 c. diced celery
1 small onion, minced
2-1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
4 oz. canned sliced button mushrooms*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In saucepan, melt butter and cook and
stirwild rice, celery and onion until vegetables are tender (*and 1/4 c.
fresh sliced mushrooms, sauteed with the celery and onion if not using
canned). Pour into ungreased 1-1/2 to 2 quart casserole. Heat broth to
boiling. Pour over wild rice mixture. Stir in parsley, salt, bouquet sauce,
sage, basil and mushrooms. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Stir in white rice.
Cover and bake until all liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes longer. Remove
from oven and let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir well before serving.
Serves 8

Jill