Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default half sour pickles

Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 06:08:42p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> "Count" > wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>
>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

> I love these! I've seen recipes that make a ton of them. I'd like a
> recipe for a small amount that doesn't require being canned. Yum!

This recipe doesn't make a ton of them, and it can be cut down to 1/2 or
1/4 the amounts called for.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kosher Dill Pickles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

24 the freshest 4-inch pickling cucumbers
8 cups soft water
1/2 cup kosher salt
12 sprigs fresh dill -- (12 to 16)
8 cloves garlic
16 whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Soak the cucumbers in ice water for between 1 and 8 hours. Drain. Snip the
end not attached to the vine. In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the water
and salt. Simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and cool.

Sterilize four 1-quart jars, lids and rubber rings. Divide the seasonings
among the jars. Pack 6 cucumbers upright in each jar.

For new pickles: Pour the cooled brine over the cucumbers to cover, leaving
1/2-inch headroom. Tightly cover the jars and shake. Place upside down and
leave overnight. If any liquid seeps from the jars, tighten the lids. Place
the jars lid side up. Refrigerate.

For half-sours: Place jars in a dark place at room temperature to ferment.
After 2 to 3 days, bubbles will rise in the liquid. Two to three days
later, bacteria begins souring the cucumbers, which remain bright green
outside. Refrigerate to slow fermentation.

For sour pickles: After 2 to 3 weeks, bubbles stop forming. Pickles are
greenish-brown. Refrigerate.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.