Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default half sour pickles

"James Silverton" > wrote

> Count wrote on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:05:54 -0400:
>
> C> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them
> C> at the Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for
> C> pickles have vinegar. The ones I purchase do not have any
> C> vinegar. The label says contains Cucumbers, water, garlic,
> C> salt and spices.
>
> C> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>
> I can't help with a recipe but I wonder if they are like the "half-done"
> dill pickles I have only found in delis? They are bright green, freshly
> pickled as the name would imply, and not very sour.

Yup, those would be half sours, I really love them. Peter
gave me a good recipe for them, I don't think he minds if I
quote him he

I think that dill pickles are much better if you do not add any vinegar
or sugar. After all, they are not meant to be sweet and the sourness
should be gentle. Let nature do it! Here's a recipe for kosher dills
that has never failed me. It's from How to Cook Everything.

2 lbs small pickling (Kirby) cukes, washed.
1/3c kosher salt
1c boiling water
5 or more cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 large bunch of fresh dill
1 TB coriander seeds (optional)

Dissolve the salt in the water. Cool. Put the cukes in a jar or bowl
with the other ingredients. Pour over the salt water and enough cold
water to cover. Put a weighted plate on top to keep the cukes submerged.
Let sit at room temp.

In a day or so you'll have mild "new" pickles. In another day they will
be a bit stronger. Put in the fridge when they are to your liking.

--
Peter Aitken