Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Paying tribute to Columbus

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
news:XNQOi.13524$gC2.12030@trndny09...
> I can't resist sharing the results of my recent research on Americk since
> I wanted to find the dates for his life. I wasn't totally successful but
> it might be 1445-1503. Another thing that turned up is that Americk's
> major investment in Cabots's voyages might have been an early example of
> insider trading in that he knew what Cabot would find. Apparently, he did
> a considerable amount of business in the salted cod brought by Portuguese
> fishermen from the Grand Banks and they might have told him about
> Newfoundland, which almost certainly they discovered before Cabot.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Coming from a diffrent perspective: I enjoyed a poem about the Cabots:

I come from the City of Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod;
Where Lowells speak only to Cabots,
And Cabots speak only to God.

Doing genealogy I came across this poem; DH's direct ancestor married a
Cabot.

--
Dee Dee
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy