Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Jessica R.[_2_] Jessica R.[_2_] is offline

Default Chilie Rellano (sp)

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I need a recipe for the above named food. It is a long green chilie
> that seems to have cheese in it and a batter encrusted wrap around it.
> Looks as though it has been deep fried.
> It was served with a kind of tomato sauce and green stuff that was
> mashed with some ovlives on top and some green onions that had been
> thinly sliced.
> Therse were also served with some that looked like a hard chip and a
> red dip that had various things in it. I was too afraid to try it.
> I also had a tacoe. It was filled with meats and cheese. Very
> difficult to eat. Everytime you put your fork in it and a knife to
> cut it into a bite it nearly flew across the plate. Interesting but
> would take eons to eat. Didn't see any other people trying them. We
> were in Riverside, CA visiting and they have a very large mexican
> area. In fact I think someone said it is mexican country or part of
> Mexico.
> I would like the chilie recipe. The rest is just too overwhelming.
> Thanks amiges

Did you want a basic recipe?

Start with your long green chiles and decide fresh vs. canned. It's not
hard to do the fresh kind, if they have them in your store. But, if you
live where there aren't chiles, use canned ones - ortega whole green chiles
are the best of the canned.

Otherwise get California Green Chiles (mild) or Chile Pasilla (medium heat).
If they are fresh, put them under your broiler or on a hot grill till they
burn and then flip and burn the other side (you're going to remove the
burned part). When they are blackened, put them in a ziplock plastic bag
and toss it on your counter for an hour, then remove the black skin.

The canned chiles is easier, right? If you start with opening the can,
you're at the next step. Dust them off with flour so the batter will stick.
Either try to stuff each chile with a little white cheese: muenster is
close to what we use from Mexican stores (cacique). Or use jack cheese.
Mozzarella is too bland and too chewy. Pack the cheese in there. Someone
said throw in other things like seeds, but I'd try it just cheese first, how
most people expect them.

You can take two chiles, open them up and put the cheese between them
sandwich style for bigger rellenos. People remove the seeds inside if they
don't like hot, but they're not that hot, we leave them in.

Now you got chiles rolled (relleno) around cheese. Separate 3 eggs and whip
the whites up stiff. Add 1 tsp. cream of tartar or 1 T flour to help keep
it stiff (you can skip if necessary). Beat the yolks and add 3T milk to the
yolks to make it easy to stir the yolks back in.

I do the next part like this:

Heat 2-3 T canola or corn oil in a big frying pan (I use creuset), to medium
not scorching heat. Take a big slotted spoon and lift a dollop of egg
batter onto the pan, same size as your chiles (a bit bigger). Put the chile
on the egg, spoon more batter over. Fry at medium till the bottom side is
brown and the egg is cooked, turn over, do same, turn off or lower way down
your heat, and cover till the cheese is really melted.

Red sauce can come from can (it's okay). There's a great one called Old
Gringo from Texas, but if you can't find it, you can use any canned red
sauce - medium hot works best. You can also buy ancho chile powder online.
If you want more recipe for that, just ask.

My family actually likes ranchero style sauce on top of the rellenos, which
we do make with tomatoes. Boil a couple of good red tomatoes (you can add
tomatillos too) and then mash them. Stir in red chile powder and crushed
red pepper, more crushed red for heat. Add 1-2 T lemon juice, as much diced
onion as you want, and some diced fresh tomato too. Snip cilantro leaves
tiny if you want or add garlic too.

"Chiles rellenos" for spanish language googling.
Chile relleno for English - and there are tons of casserole style recipes
that are muy good!

Jessica R.