Posted to rec.food.baking
Kent Kent is offline

Default freezing pizzas?

"anthony" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I normally wouldn't think of doing this. But my wife here in the Blue
> Mountains of New South Wales, Australia, is having an exhibition of
> her paintings and ceramics this October 6 (at the Hat Hill Gallery in
> Blackheath, from 3 pm if there are any locals reading this.....) and
> I'll be cooking for the party afterwards ...
> I'm thinking of doing around a dozen mixed pizzas, using my usual high-
> protein flour thin-crust base -- salami and vegetarian -- but I can't
> see how I could do that many AND be at the gallery at the same time
> for support etc. It's a small gallery so I'll be serving drinks
> anyway...
> I've never tried freezing pizza, hence the question -- how
> satisfactory would it be to partially-cook all the pizzas in advance
> and then freeze them, and pop them into the oven for a final high-temp
> 5 minute blast on the night? Or should I prepare, do all the toppings,
> and then freeze uncooked?
> Any practical advice would be really welcome ... I know this smacks of
> compromise, but it's going to be a hectic afternoon and night!

This isn't quite what you asked for, but, I do the following. After you make
your dough
and rise it and make your round, you bake it at the highest temp. your oven
will go for 90 seconds.
Take that out, punch the middle, not the edges, down, wrap it in foil, and
stick that in the freezer.
When you want a pizza, you thaw the round, apply your tomato, cheese, and
the rest, and bake it as you would initially.
All of this has to be done on a preheated pizza stone.
I don't think you can really freeze or new composed pizza leftover pizza and
make it work.

Kent