Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matt Matt is offline

Default remote thermometer

"charlyhorse" > wrote in message
> Dan <intrceptor@gmaildotcom> wrote in
> :
>
>> charlyhorse wrote:
>>> Hi I'm fairly new to this group but I've messed up a fair amount of
>>> beef on my offset in past. I needed a new thermometer and was looking
>>> at Lowes home improvement online and ran across a neat little
>>> talking thermometer with remote capabilities, it ran just under $30
>>> usd. It's an Oregon scientific AW131. Tried it this weekend and I
>>> had a problem getting the sensor and reciever to talk to one another
>>> but once they did it worked pretty well. I could keep an eye on my
>>> temperature and the football game without leaving easy chair.While
>>> I'm not sure I'll use the programmed settings too much it did serve
>>> as an alert when fire got too hot... be nice they had one that
>>> alerted when temp dropped as well. I was just impressed with it
>>> over all and I thought I'd pass the info along.
>>>
>>> a link to Oregon Scientific with some specs outlined.
>>>
>>> http://oregonscientific.factoryoutle...793-3986/Orego
>>> n- Scientific-Thermometers-AW131.html

>> The Maverick is a dual temp thermometer that will watch the food and
>> the smoker. I have used mine at 75' though a concrete block wall with
>> great results. It won't talk to you but it has alarms you set for
>> minimum and maximum smoker temp as well as maximum (finished) food
>> temp. It's great for the overnight cooks.
>>
>> BTW- On the Maverick to sync the receiver and transmitter you only
>> have to turn them both on at about the same time. It's very simple.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediC...hermometer/dp/
>> B0000DIU49
>>
>> Dan

> Well dang... Wish I'd shopped a lil farther But I suppose this one
> will do me. as to the sync it should have worked the same way on
> this unit but I had to depress to press the reset a couple of times
> since then it's not dropped out.

I too have the Maverick ET-73 and love it. Great unit.

As far as getting them to sync, I've found that I MUST turn on the receiving
unit first, and then the transmitter unit second, if powered up in this
order, they sync just fine. I've found that if I forget and happen to turn
on the transmitter first, then they don't seem to sync up. Try powering up
the receiving unit first and see if that helps the units sync up quicker.

I consider my ET-73 a "must have" accessory.