Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Oregon Wine Tasting Fees

Ben wrote:
> Just got back from a trip to the Oregon coast. Along the way my wife and I
> stopped at a number of wineries (McMinnville) to sample and purchase the
> local products. The tasting fees ranged from $5.00 to $15.00!! I was
> appalled at the high dollar tasting fees charged and the arrogance of not
> applying the fee to a purchase!

Ben,
The Willamette Valley is now a "destination" for wine lovers, so
wineries now get far more business than they need. Tasting fees are the
result, and if you speak with most wineries they'll explain that,
without them, they get hordes of people with no interest in buying wine
crowding out those few who do. Why thy don't credit it to a purchase is
a good question.

Mark Lipton