Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Default remote thermometer

charlyhorse wrote:
> Hi I'm fairly new to this group but I've messed up a fair amount of beef on
> my offset in past. I needed a new thermometer and was looking at Lowes
> home improvement online and ran across a neat little talking thermometer
> with remote capabilities, it ran just under $30 usd. It's an Oregon
> scientific AW131. Tried it this weekend and I had a problem getting the
> sensor and reciever to talk to one another but once they did it worked
> pretty well. I could keep an eye on my temperature and the football game
> without leaving easy chair.While I'm not sure I'll use the programmed
> settings too much it did serve as an alert when fire got too hot... be
> nice they had one that alerted when temp dropped as well. I was just
> impressed with it over all and I thought I'd pass the info along.
>
> a link to Oregon Scientific with some specs outlined.
>
> http://oregonscientific.factoryoutle...3-3986/Oregon-
> Scientific-Thermometers-AW131.html

The Maverick is a dual temp thermometer that will watch the food and the
smoker. I have used mine at 75' though a concrete block wall with great
results. It won't talk to you but it has alarms you set for minimum and
maximum smoker temp as well as maximum (finished) food temp. It's great
for the overnight cooks.

BTW- On the Maverick to sync the receiver and transmitter you only have
to turn them both on at about the same time. It's very simple.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediC.../dp/B0000DIU49

Dan