Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Pickled Cauliflower

Puester wrote:

> Must.stop.reading.this.group
>
> After many years of not preserving anything other than my annual batches
> of freezer apricot jam, I have been BI (bad influenced) back into the
> habit.
>
> Yesterday's effort resulted in four pints of pickled cauliflower, using
> the BBB recipe with an added jalapeno pepper. I'll agree with Bob--it
> needs something, maybe garlic? It's crunchier than I expected, nice
> texture. We'll see how it mellows.
>
> This morning I made seven half pints and four 4 oz. jars of...I'm not
> sure whether to call it Concord grape jam or jelly. I prepared the
> grapes by mashing an simmering, but then put the resulting mash through
> a china cap food mill, resulting in a thicker liquid than jelly but w/o
> the skins (ugh!) of jam.
>
> Now I have to figure out which neighbors will share the bounty 'cause i
> don't have the chutzpah to take it to my auto mechanic like someone I
> know.... (Maybe Christmas baskets with homemade bread?)
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

Good for you. I gift stuff to people who offer me pickings on grapes,
scuppernongsmuscadines, fruit, etc. Ensures you get a new supply next
time things are getting ripe. It doesn't hurt to suck up to the USPS
letter carrier either. I found out our carrier's birthday and ensure
there's something in the mailbox for her then plus at Christmas. I don't
get many of those little notes that I have to go to the post office to
pick up a package because our carrier will go around and leave it at the
back door. Every little bit helps.

George