Curly Sue

Default "WHOLE GRAINS"

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:02:59 -0400, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>I just finished reading the "nutrition" article in TIME magazine.

It is a pretty good article. I saw the article on the cnn.com website
(under "Time Magazine") and went out and bought the issue.

>They've convinced me;
>Reduce sugars, rice, processed flours etc,
>and eat more "Whole Grains".
>
>They even gave a hint; "Barley is a whole grain"
>
>But when I go to my grocers, what should I be looking for ?
>I don't just want to buy a bag of whole-wheat flour.
>
>Is Grits a whole grain ?

Interesting question. The answer is no, as I found out he
http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNot...Guide/Corn.htm

> Raisin Bran?

Well, it contains "bran" which technically isn't a whole grain but
practically-speaking it is the part of the grain that "whole grain" is
supposed to keep. So, that works as a "whole grain" for your
purposes.

> Oat meal ?

Yes.

>( these all sound like breakfast foods )

brown rice too :>

>Any help here on which prepared foods are "whole grain" ?

Look for packages that say "whole wheat" or "whole grain _____".
Here are a couple of guides:
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html
http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNot...-Contents-List