Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
juliantai[_3_] juliantai[_3_] is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

Scott et all

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

=============
Further Questions
=============

> >> Yes, but don't forget there are some organometallic pesticides in common
> >> use today now, which are indeed the opposite. On the gripping hand, we

Just out of curiosity, why is organometallic pesticides harm the
drinkers and not the workers?

It is interesting you compare pesticides to vodha, or spirit. Does
that tell me anything about the hot water solubility of this
pesticide?

====
PSD
====

I have found this article in the UK Pesticide Safety Directorate (PSD)

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/food_industry.asp?id=546

As you can see, EU currently have MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE LIMITS for 30
pesticides residuals, with another 40 under discussion.

Not to mention other environmental pollutants.

It kind of struck me that low cost testing doesn't really exist, at
least for now, and the only logical place for comprehensive testing is
in the larger tea gardens, where it is subject to manipulation.

(

==================
My tentative conclusion
==================

The more I look into this issue, the less I am convinced pollution and
pesticides are an issue, especially if you are drinking a high grade.

First, a lot of tea quality is in the taste, so anyone can do their
DIY testing.

Second, as pointed to me earlier by Chagonwala, we drink only a few
grams of tea leaves each day. Only less than half is soluble in water.

Now compared this to the other foods you eat. Another 300 grams or
more? Do your vegetables and fruits and meats grow in high mountain?
Are they TRULY organic? They don't dissolve in water, do they? Have
they any history of health scare? Do they kill bacteria and virus and
reduce cancer risk?

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com