Posted to alt.food.barbecue
DougW[_2_] DougW[_2_] is offline

Default French Fries

Steve Calvin wrote:
> charlyhorse wrote:
>> "Moe Jones" > wrote in news:46e94153$0$25471
>> :
>>
>>> Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make
>>> some homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and
>>> wanted some feedback on what I could have done different.
>>>

>>> 1. Used Russet potatoes.
>>>
>>> 2. Peel and cut up potatoes.
>>>
>>> 3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.
>>>
>>> 4. Pout them in the freezer.
>>>
>>> 5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.
>>>
>>> 6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.
>>>

>> obviously you used the wrong smoke, I'd have gone with pecan.

> huh?

I just want to know what a used Russet potato is. or maby not. :]

Your going to have to experiment with the size of the fries.
All you need is to put them in an ice water bath for about 45 min
and carefully dry the water off the fries. (that's important) :O

Remember to cook in small batches, allowing the oil to come back
up to temperature.

As for temp, 400 is a bit high and might not cook thicker fries
through before they start to burn on the outside.

Try cooking them longer at a lower temperature 300 till they
just start to turn from translucent to pale gold (6-10 min),
then put them out to drain for about 30 min (up to 1 hour).
Then turn the heat up to 375 and put them back in till
they start to turn golden. (2-4 min) That makes them very
crispy on the outside.

As for seaoning, I rather like a bit of BBQ seasoning sprinkled
over them. Same stuff you use for dry coating.

The alternative is to bake some potatos then let them cool.
Refrigerate, then later you cut them into slices (1/8" thick)
and just drop them into an oiled frying pan to brown. Same
rough idea as the fries, but they work better for breakfast.

--
DougW