Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Rec: castle puddings

My mother read a reference to these in one of her English romances.
However I didn't seem to have a recipe for them so nicked one off the
Web. Basically a baked sponge pudding topped by a sauce. The dariole
moulds mentioned can be replaced by deep ramekins or custard cups.

From:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ings_127.shtml

Ingredients

110g/4oz sugar
110g/4oz unsalted butter
2 eggs
175g/6oz plain flour, sifted
125ml/4fl oz milk
a little butter for greasing
6 tbsp of good jam

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Cream the sugar and butter together until the mixture is smooth. Stir
in the eggs
and the mix well. Fold in the flour and then stir in the milk.
3. Grease 6 dariole moulds. Pour the mixture into the moulds leaving
1cm/ 1/2in gap to
allow the sponge to rise. Then place in a baking tray. Pour hot water
into the baking
tray to about half way up the moulds.
4. Place in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes. They should be risen
and golden and
should not mark if a skewer is inserted.
5. Meanwhile place the jam in a saucepan and allow to become liquid.
When the
puddings are cooked tip onto a serving plate and pour over the jam.