Posted to rec.food.sourdough
[email protected] erichjseifert@gmail.com is offline

Default Refrigerator Sourdough

> Good luck!
>
> http://samartha.net/SD/docs/DW-post1...t1-4n.html#066

Thumbing through Hammelmann's book, I noted him paraphrasing Calvel
that at regular fridge temps the yeasts in sourdoughs die off, this
being unfavorable in thier opinion. Others--Reinhardt, Wing, et al.--
claim a slow down and even dormancy but make no claim to the yeast die
off, nor to any negative consequences of retarding at those low
temps.

I don't have at my disposal any way to verify the yeast types and
viabilities in the culture I use, but I do store it at those temps, as
well as retard doughs similarly, both in bulk fermentation and in
final form, in varying combination. And, though I'm generally
satisfied with the outcomes, I'm curious to know the facts that might
lead to greater planning and improvement of the bread.

Perhaps off the main subject, seemingly there is another contradiction
worth noting between Hammelmann and Wing. Hammelmann claims the
temperatures at which starch swells and gels in rye is different than
that of wheat, claiming the lower temps of this for rye allow the
amylase enzymes to subsequently cause "starch attack." Whereas Wing
claims that it is the enzymes in the rye that are not heat unstable
like that of wheat.

Any information that might lead to clarity on any of this? I'm going
to Sam's page now to search for same, as well as information regarding
his proofing box.

-Erich