Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Randall Nortman Randall Nortman is offline

Default Refrigerator Sourdough

On 2007-09-20, Sam > wrote:

> Good luck!
>
> http://samartha.net/SD/docs/DW-post1-4n.html#061
> http://samartha.net/SD/docs/DW-post1-4n.html#066

I think the idea is you would get different strains. The strains
tested there were from room-temperature starters. Anyway, I have seen
dough rise in my <5C refrigerator before. Commercial yeast can
certainly do it, slowly.

> "Matadero Creek Bakery" - hmmm..... try googling it.

Yeah, that's a little odd, but I know[1] this guy from the home
brewing scene, which is how I stumbled upon his baking page. He seems
to know his stuff when it comes to brewing. Whether or not he knows
sourdough remains to be seen. It is an easy enough experiment to try,
but I'm certainly not throwing out my room temperature starter any
time soon.

[1] "Know" in the sense of having seen posts from and references to
him in Internetland. Never actually met or interacted with him.

--
Randall