Old 12-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Kenneth

Default Experiment

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:11:12 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .
snip
It makes more sense to me to do salt as you have, that is, as a
proportion (typically about 2%) of the weight of the dry ingredients.
I don't understand why we would want more salt in a super-hydrated
bread (such as a ciabatta) than in a bread made with lower
hydration...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Good point. I don't know an answer to that. Perhaps the rule was used for
traditional loaves and became a 'standard.'
I do understand that many recipes contain more salt than necessary. But in
this case, where the goal is to obtain large holes, perhaps less salt is
best given that salt acts as a kind of brake.
Janet

Hi Janet,

One interesting aspect of this is that there do seem to be "standard"
approaches to hydration within particular cultures. For example, I
have read that in much of South America breads are made with lower
hydrations because (for some reason) very prominent slashes seem to be
preferred.

All the best,

--
Kenneth