Dick Adams

Default Experiment

"Ron Anderson" > wrote in message=20
link.net...

> it seems to me that to let the start ferment for 24 hours for most of
> the steps I did accomplish a high degree of fermentation. It is my
> understanding that the fermentation is what creates the sour.

After a while the fermentation is done. Probably in less than 24
hours at room temperature. A lot less warmer. =20

>You will notice the long rise of 9.5 hours in the refrigerator and=20
> 5 more at room temperature. Certainly qualifies, at least in my mind,=20
> as a long rise.

Five hours in the fridge does not count for much -- maybe=20
equivalent to a half hour at room temperature. Of course, it=20
does not start being altogether at fridge temperature until it has=20
been in there for a while.

> Where is the documentation on the long rise theory?

Who has proved that bears defecate in the woods?

> I do not see what salt has to do with hydration. =20

If you were to follow the suggestion I made, you would know the=20
weight* of the total water. You would subtract that, and the salt=20
weight (which is trivial) from the total weight of the finished=20
dough to know the flour weight. The bakers' per cent hydration is=20
100 times the weight of the water divided by the weight of the=20
flour.

(* weight is known by measuring all volumes of water used.) =20

> ... seeking confirmation my calculations were correct. The=20

reason is to compare with other hydrations I have used.

Flour comes out of the sack at hydrations ~14%. Humidity may=20
raise that by 6 or 7%, and arid conditions may reduce it.

> If you wish to present that information in a flow chart be my=20
> guest, I have neither the time nor inclination to do so.

I have as little interest interest in calculating the hydration=20
of your dough as you have in presenting your information in a form=20
where the answer you seek might be more readily evident.

The method I use, as described above, for my own doughs, easily=20
produces a recordable value for the hydration, but it is subject=20
to the uncertainty of not knowing how the base hydration (14%?)=20
of the dough has been affected by the ambient humidity.

After a while, one gets to be guided by the feel of the dough. =20
With me, it turns out usually, these days, at a hydration of=20
<60%. The bread does not spread much in rising, but is light=20
and has a nice web, if not a totally holey one. Photos linked=20
below are of 1-3/4 lb. loaves from my most recent baking effort.=20
(Baked on a tray, from cold start, no "steam", rise time extended=20
by one mid-rise deflation/kneading, which could be said to=20
amount to two rises -- bread tasted quite good in the way the=20
sourdough bread should, and was moderately sour).=20

http://prettycolors.com/bread%5Fcult...%5F3-09-04/jpg

http://prettycolors.com/bread%5Fcult...e%5F3-9-04.jpg

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com