Old 12-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Kenneth

Default Experiment

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:56:25 GMT, "Ron Anderson"
wrote:

Please expand on this. salt is one of the more confusing aspects. I have
been keeping it in the 1.8 to 2 % range as I have read in many places.

Hence
the 11 grams for a 1000 g loaf.

snip
Ron Anderson

The bread baker's rule of thumb is 1 ounce of salt per 1 quart of water.
Many of us add salt last after some development of the dough because the
salt tightens the gluten. Because of this it is easier to mix and

partially
develop the dough without the salt. The effect of the salt on the dough

is
instantly noticeable. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
Janet

I do add the salt after the dough has been mixed as a rule.
Given the 1 ounce to the quart rule that would come in at 12.28 grams for
the 396 grams of total water used in that dough at 600 grams flour that
makes it just over 2 percent, not far from the 1.8 to 2 % rule I have been
following.

Hi Ron,

I may be off base, but...

It makes more sense to me to do salt as you have, that is, as a
proportion (typically about 2%) of the weight of the dry ingredients.
I don't understand why we would want more salt in a super-hydrated
bread (such as a ciabatta) than in a bread made with lower
hydration...

All the best,

--
Kenneth