Ron Anderson

Default Experiment

> > Please expand on this. salt is one of the more confusing aspects. I have
> > been keeping it in the 1.8 to 2 % range as I have read in many places.

> Hence
> > the 11 grams for a 1000 g loaf.

> snip
> > > >

> The bread baker's rule of thumb is 1 ounce of salt per 1 quart of water.
> Many of us add salt last after some development of the dough because the
> salt tightens the gluten. Because of this it is easier to mix and

partially
> develop the dough without the salt. The effect of the salt on the dough

is
> instantly noticeable. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
> Janet

I do add the salt after the dough has been mixed as a rule.
Given the 1 ounce to the quart rule that would come in at 12.28 grams for
the 396 grams of total water used in that dough at 600 grams flour that
makes it just over 2 percent, not far from the 1.8 to 2 % rule I have been
following.