Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default Making a real BBQ rig

Brick wrote:

>> Heck, when I get a chance I might even start a thread listing possible
>> "important" things for low and slow and maybe some of the pros can kick
>> in and make it something usable for all.
>>
>> Nonny

> Now you've gone an got me curious about what difference there is between
> my gas bullet smoker and my offset. The gas bullet is built almost exactly
> like a WSM except that it has a round stovelike burner under a grate covered
> with lava rock. It has a water pan and a center section with two grates just
> like the WSM. It differs however, in that it has NO adjustable vents.
> There's
> not much room to put in wood chunks/chips, but I might use a little CI
> skillet for that purpose in place of some of the lava rock.
>
> I think I'll buy a butt and experiment. I'm mainly curious about that smoke
> ring thing and my perceived difference in taste between meat with a
> pronounced smoke ring and meat without. What I'm saying is, "I don't
> know if my gasser with wood chunks produces anything like the same
> taste I get from the offset.
>
> The gasser does have one positive attribute. The burner runs 'Real' low
> and I haven't changed the tank in a couple of years. I just got a 3 burner
> grill this summer and have changed that tank already.

If one of us was a scientist, I bet he could make up some experiments.
One of my failings as a woodworking hobbyist was that I refused to
build things from plans. To me, the fun was building something one off,
using just a scratch pad to do the math or straighten out my mind. I
guess that's why I'm not a baker, because they have to work from
recipes, where I don't.

I know that on my Bradley, I've not fiddled with the damper in months.
It's about 3/4 open and that works for everything I've cooked to date
after getting it the way I want. The Bradley's only source of incoming
air is around the puck feeder and that's not dampered. My guess is that
the pucks get enough air to let them smolder away, but not enough for
combustion. I just don't know. What I do know is that the consumed
puck is still puck shaped and black as soot- not gray.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by