Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default Making a real BBQ rig

Zz Yzx wrote:
> My Dad.
>
> When I was a kid (c. late 1950's early 1960's), my Dad made a smoker
> out of an old refrigerator. At that time, refrigerators were made of
> steel w/ porcelin coatings. He took the compressor and motor and
> other stuff out of the bottom comparment, and rigged a firebox in it.
> He drilled holes in the floor of the icebox, and rigged a vent on top,
> complete with a butterfly valve to control heat. He used the metal
> racks that came with the refrigerator.
>
> Then, he'd go deep sea fishing, and catch albacore, yellowtail,
> bonita,salmon, etc., make me clean them and bury the guts, brine it
> all, and smoke them for a day or two.

As a FWIW, Bradley's smoker consists of two main parts. One is the dorm
room refrigerator-sized smoker box, and the other is the smoke
generator, which holds and feeds the pucks onto a hotplate. The smoke
generator merely slides into a hole in the side of the box, hanging off
of two mounting screws. The biscuits are fed one at a time onto the hot
plate by a "pusher," that slides the old one onto the plate, forcing the
used one to drop into a small pan of water.

Bradley sells the smoke generator separately for someone like your Dad
who wants to use a refrigerator, old barbecue grill or anything else for
smoking food. It's the same generator and hot plate as sold with their
smoker, except that the hot plate has a small, removable, cover that
sits over the puck in case your own design might permit something to
drip onto the puck.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---