Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default Making a real BBQ rig

My Dad.

When I was a kid (c. late 1950's early 1960's), my Dad made a smoker
out of an old refrigerator. At that time, refrigerators were made of
steel w/ porcelin coatings. He took the compressor and motor and
other stuff out of the bottom comparment, and rigged a firebox in it.
He drilled holes in the floor of the icebox, and rigged a vent on top,
complete with a butterfly valve to control heat. He used the metal
racks that came with the refrigerator.

Then, he'd go deep sea fishing, and catch albacore, yellowtail,
bonita,salmon, etc., make me clean them and bury the guts, brine it
all, and smoke them for a day or two.

Good eats.

-Zz

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:00:01 GMT, "Guv Bob"