Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] psyflake@yahoo.com is offline

Default Tinned Twinings

On Sep 14, 3:53 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > wrote:
> >On Sep 14, 2:54 am, Alan > wrote:

> >> We also have a market (http://market.treasureshidden.com/) that
> >> sells lots of imports; mostly Asian but some British. They have an
> >> entire aisle with nothing but tea! One end is British; I'll check
> >> there for Twinings in tins, too.

> >I checked their website and funnily enough they only had exactly those
> >same 4 blends I bought over here, even the prices are almost the same.
> >Maybe those are their bestselling blends. I wonder where all those
> >other great blends are gone, like their "Irish breakfast" and those
> >more exotic varieties of yore.

> What happened is that Twining's closed down their blending plant in
> North Carolina a couple years back. All of the Twining's tea you see
> in the US now is blended in England. The English tins are a somewhat
> different shape and many of the less-popular blends do not seem to be
> being imported here.
> --scott

Iīve heard of that, but AFAIK those Twinings you could get in Germania
have always come straight from England.

Regarding their standard Darjeeling, neither does it seem to be 100%
DJ, nor is it the fanciest DJ you could imagine, but at least is has
changed very little over many a year. To me the most reliable mittle-
of-the-road DJ blend I know of, despite some unknown parts [Assam/
Doaars ?] still a very DJ like character, finicky in some respect, an
old fashioned highly oxidated black/red broken, AND fairly brrrrisk -
as Mr.Guru would say.
IMHO it could pass as kind of a middle-of -the road touchstone or
starting point for someone who wants to know what all that DJ fuss is
about - hatīs off to the blenders.

Karsten