Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN I like a Rheingau more than a Rhone white (surprise, surprise)

DaleW wrote:
> Last night we had an early dinner before Betsy headed to work. She
> made "salmon provencal" (salmon with olive, tomatoes, etc in an herb-
> garlic vinaigrette) with brown rice, salad, etc. Certainly not
> traditional (I don't think there are salmon in the Mediterranean?),
> but there are lots of recipes on web, some which include wine
> suggestions (whte CdP). I said what the hell, decided to follow that
> path, but on a budget. A Roussanne based white, the 2005 Eric Texier
> Cotes du Rhone-Brezeme Blanc was brought up. I had liked this at a
> store tasting. Here not so much. Apricot and yellow plum fruit, lower
> acidity, heavy and a little oily in the mouth. I tend to like Texier's
> wines, but on the other hand I seldom like Rhone whites. This is a C+/
> B- for me, but if you like Roussanne in general I'm not the person to
> look to for notes. I think at store being tasted straight from an ice
> bucket made it seem crisper.

A Texier wine that's low in acidity? Say it ain't so, Dale! Even his
'03 Brezeme rouge wasn't.

> Decided to open another wine while I read an Ian Rankin novel. A
> little reductive at first, but the funk blows off quickly leaving a
> lovely wine. The 2005 Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Spatlese is
> maybe my favorite '05 Germans to date. Sure, its got a bit of 2005
> heft, but the sweetness is not out of Spatlesen territory, and the
> acidity keeps the whole package jumping. Peach/nectarine fruit with a
> generous squirt of lime on top, plenty of minerals, a little floral
> note. With time the fruit gets a candied orange edge. Rather creamy
> texture, but not in the least heavy. First 2005 that reminds me of a
> great 2001. Will revisit tonight. A-

Have you had any of the Zilliken or Hexamer '05s? David Schildknecht at
least seems to think that they hit homeruns in '05.

Mark Lipton