Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default steaming rice

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:37:33 -0700, aem > wrote:

>On Sep 11, 7:04 am, postingprofile > wrote:
>> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a pot
>> with a rice insert?
>>

>Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
>Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
>done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
>have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

What Armenians (and I'm sure other middle eastern cultures in America)
do is put a towel between the pot and the pot lid during the steaming
phase of rice.

We have many ways to cook rice and none of them are wrong as long as
the rice isn't under cooked or over cooked when finished.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins