Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default steaming rice

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in
:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> aem wrote:
>>>>
>>> Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled
>>> rice. Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest
>>> setting, done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And
>>> there you have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

>> Actually, in order to "steam" boiled rice you have to take the lid
>> off and stir the rice after you cook it so the steam will release
>> rather than keep the rice moist. And, if I'm guessing correctly, the
>> OP probably wants to steam rice in order to make fried rice. If
>> that's the case, they need to be
>> sure to chill it overnight. Good fried rice requires leftover
>> steamed rice.
>> And be sure to cook it without added salt or fat.
>>
>> Jill

> A month ago, I was looking for fried rice recipes and the only
> variation I found in terms of cooking the rice was to use a different
> rice to water ratio. 1.5 cups rice to 2 cups water, for instance, for
> a drier result.
>
> Is it possible that in the context of this thread, the word "steaming"
> is conjuring the same images as steaming vegetables, with the food
> over, but not touching the water?

I have cooked rice in a pot on a stove, in a microwave and in a rice
cooker all using the standard time proven method...mix rice and water
together and heat to boiling.

I also have tried cooking rice in an electric veggie steamer...
While it is possible to steam rice...the taste isn't as good and the
texture suffers. This is my opion only...my ex liked rice cooked in a
steamer.

Lots of electric veggie steamers come with rice baskets and good
instructions. Some rice cookers come with veggie steamers (the mid to
upper cost range ones do in any case.) My kenmore veggie steamer came
with a rice basket and a egg rack. My black and decker rice cooker didn't
come with a veggie steamer insert as it is a cheap model.

To make fried rice requires slightly dried cooked rice...easiest gotten
by refridgerating a quantity of rice over night, another method is to use
a cookie sheet and slightly dry the rice in the oven if you have time
restraints.

These days if I desire cooked white rice I pick up a pint or 3 at the
chinese place at the top of my street on the way home. Plain rice is
cheap and in great supply there for cheap.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore