Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default steaming rice

aem wrote:
> On Sep 11, 7:04 am, postingprofile > wrote:
>> Can I use a collapsible steamer basket to do this, or should I get a
>> pot with a rice insert?
>>

> Why would you want to? "Steamed rice" is a misnomer for boiled rice.
> Pot, rice, water, bring to boil, cover, turn heat to lowest setting,
> done in 17-20 minutes. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. "And there you
> have it!" -- steamed rice. -aem

Actually, in order to "steam" boiled rice you have to take the lid off and
stir the rice after you cook it so the steam will release rather than keep
the rice moist. And, if I'm guessing correctly, the OP probably wants to
steam rice in order to make fried rice. If that's the case, they need to be
sure to chill it overnight. Good fried rice requires leftover steamed rice.
And be sure to cook it without added salt or fat.

Jill