Maria

Default long-term storage of starter

Thanks for your insights.

I will go into more detail: I had 2 starters, 1 that I have had now for
about 8 years (very sad to have to lose it), and another that my husband
started about 6 months ago. My husband's went mouldy about a month ago, and
mine a few weeks later. Note, I am careful not to let them contaminate each
other. We alternate, each gets used once every week or two. I feed them
all-purpose flour and rainwater.

I store my starter in jars in the fridge. They seal well as far as I know,
but maybe not well enough? I DO have blue cheese in the fridge, so you may
be right.I had actually thought that the mould spores might be in the flour
itself.

In the past I have had the occasional mouldy spot on the edge of the jar,
but they did not touch the starter and it was fine (I just put the starter
into a new clean sterilised jar). This time the starter itself is mouldy,
I tried to revive the starters several times before tossing them, but seems
that I was cultivating mould as well. And it makes the bread taste mouldy.

With my new starter, I think I might try sterilising the flour and water
before feeding (thanks again for the tip in a previous message, Samartha).

What I wanted to do was to store a sample (dried? frozen?) of good starter
that I could revive if all else failed.

Thanks

Jenny

"Samartha Deva" > wrote in message
> Maria wrote:
> >
> > I live in Australia, where we have warm and humid summers. Lately I

have
> > found that every time I perfect a starter, after a few months it gets

mouldy
> > and needs to be thrown out, and a new one started.

> Getting moldy is not perfect and probably not the starter's fault
> either. Since it seems to be a repeatable affair, the cause could
> probably be narrowed down.
>

> > Does anyone have tips for storing a sample of starter at its peak, to

revive